• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking CPU and VCore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soulrefuge

Registered
I have overclocked my athlon 900 up to 1008mhz using the FSB. The VCore was still at standard and not having any bother. The VCore is 1.675v. If i reduce the Vcore and my system stays stable, will it reduce the temp of my CPU, although it's only running at 25-26 idle and 38 active. Also i have set my targets of what i will run as maximum temps, 34 idle and 45-50 active. How do i go about pushing my CPU futher, gaining more MHZ, as i have lots of temp to play with, especially if reducing the VCore will reduce temps.

Any help greatly appreciated as i'm new to this.

Last edited:
Also, if i try increasing my VCORE, do you think that i will get the FSB upto the next target of 133? And how do i down clock my AGP slot as it will probably be running too high at that speed!

:cool:

Sorry, I forgot. If you want to push the FSB up to 133, and your mobo has the 1/4 divider, then your AGP and PCI slots will still be within spec at 66 MHz and 33 mhz respectively.

I have a VIA Technologies 663AS Pro, which, if i can get my FSB to 133 will put divide to 33mhz on PCI. Does this mean it will also go to 66mhz for AGP? If that is the case, then the only thing i really need to worry about is cooking the chip? Is that right?

That sounds like a Jetway motherboard right? If you have a VIA KT133 chispet, then the only thing you have to worry about at 133 FSB is the CPU. (Voltage and cooling) Possibly even power supply. I'm not too sure about the settings in that mobo however.
What kind of RAM are you using?

I'm using SDRam pc133. It is KT133 chipset. What voltage do you think it would take to get the FSB to 133? It was running on standard 1.675v @ 112FSB. What should i try for to get the 133 working? Currently 133FSB is totally dead, no response at all. Also do you know where i can get a bigger fan fo rthe CPU, Currently it's only running 5200RPM idle, i'd like one with a bit more cooling power!!

Crank the voltage all the way up in the BIOS, then save changes and reboot. Go straight back into the BIOS then monitor your temps. If the seem okay, then try going for 133 FSB.
If, not then try 130, if not then try 127 and so on.

If it doesn't boot at 133, then you're not putting enough voltage through the CPU. OR you might have to change a jumper on the board to specify it to run at 133 FSB. I'm not familiar with the mobo that you are using.

Can't try for any intermediate settings as my award bios jumps straight from 112/37 to 133/33. So i'll just have to try and crank up the voltage in increments till it boots at 133. Then i'll have my hardware monitor running constant to keep me posted!!

I Have also pulled my system shut down back to 45celsuis on chip temp. What is a safe temp to run a chip at with loaded temps? Someone said upto 60 is ok, what do you think?

Up to 60 is ok if you have accurate readings. For example 60 degrees inside the core itself. Most motherboards have diodes that are located in the socket or somewhere near the CPU so I would personally no let it run over 50 at full load.

Try upgrading the heatsink. Is it a socket or a slot CPU?
If it is a socket, then get the Thermalright AX-7. Cheap and top notch performance. I doubt that your mobo has the four holes to bolt on the big boys like Alpha 8045 and Swiftech MCX460's.

it's a kt133 socket. Have just been on to the jetway website and have downloaded the latest update for my bios. The award bios i use is v6.00, i have just downloaded v8.08. Hopefully this will have the options to FSB in between my current 112 and the next 133 step. I will try and find out about the heatsink you have mentioned, as i definitely am doing this on a budget!!!

I ordered an AX-7 and apparently they are very very good. I've seen them listed for about $30(US) at some website. I paid $55 (CDN) for mine.

It should come in today as well as my new mobo.

I would recommend the AX-7 as well. I replaced my Thermaltake volcano 7 with the Ax-7 and I dropped about 2 degrees (using ASII with both HSF).

I got mine had coolerguys for cheap cheap - with the fan I think I was still under $50 (including shipping).

I did, however, use a better fan with more CFM - Metatronics or something (it should be in my sig)

Anyway, good luck with your OC'ing!

My CMOS will only allow me to up the VCore by .075v This isn't enough to get the computer running with a FSB@133. How can i overclock the VCore to increase it enough to get the FSB running @133? I have been able to turn my VCore down by .05v whille running @ 112/37. I don't think i need much more than a 1.5v increase to run @133, but how?

Back