• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FYI: hidden partition weirdness

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petreza

The following comes from a side-note of another thread. It is my observation and there might be a easy way arround it that I am not aware of.

FYI:

I do not know if you have noticed it but there is this strange thing:

You install two operating systems in two FAT32 partitions - lets say WIN98 and WIN-MILLENIUM. You use a boot-manager ( or whatever ) like System Commander that can let you choose between the two at start up. You instruct it that when booting into WIN98 it should make the WIN-MILLENIUM partition hidden and vice-versa. It works. But..

If you install two operating systems one on NTFS and one on FAT32 - lets say WIN2000 and WIN-98. IF you try to do the same thing with the boot-manager it would not quite work. It would not work in the case when you boot into WIN2000. Both the NTFS *AND* FAT32 are vissible in your explorer window eventhough the boot manager hid the FAT32. There could be way to hide it yourself - may be right_ckick MY COMPUTER - MANAGE - DISK MANAGEMENT and remove the letter of the FAT32 - I do not know I haven't tried it.

Oni said:
So . . . . what are you asking?
I think he is just letting people know of this problem, in case someone else comes across it and has problems with it.

and

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Oni
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think he is just letting people know of this problem, in case someone else comes across it and has problems with it.

FYI = for your information

:)

Just to summarize:

If you boot into an NTFS OS your FAT32 partitions will be visible even if you mark them hidden.

Just thought someone might want to know.

It DID give me trouble here.

Last edited:
Back