• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

connecting through schools internet please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

brought one of my old computers and set it up in the electronics room, i told the teacher i needed to borrow his nice bandwidth to download alot of big files and whatnot :) the problem is i cant get it to connect.. i've tried everything i can think of.. at one time the system was running on my network here so i think the card should still work.. it lights up and everything pretty much copying their tcp settings and everything... no device conflicts or anything like that... so. .what are some things you guys need to know about the network to help? its 100mb ethernet.. and i think they have t1 lines to their server.. on the shop teachers computer he usually connects around 30 to 35kbps.. my system is running win98 se.. as are some of the other schools computers that are using the net... thanks for the help guys

this is just a little to close to hacking into the network for my liking, what you need to do is talk to the schools tech person, they all have one, and if this is something he/she approves of(which i doubt) they will be glad to help you authenticate onto the server Your coach needs to be a little leary of allowing people/students access to the schools system to download "a lot of big files and whatnot" does he/she, do you realize that he probably is risking his job and perhaps his professional credentials?

actually funny you bring that up, our "tech" lady is a complete idiot, my freaking cat is more qualified to run the server than she is.. she knows absolutely nothing.. she said it was fine, she even "looked" at my computer.. and gave up after 4 min... lol so there is no "hacking" going on here... just too bad i dont have a real network administrator :p

so you are a student? and a teacher is going to let you get access to the backbone? all I was trying to say is that this sounds like a pretty ify thing, if everything is on the up and up, just contact the district IT staff, they will be able to help u out

but if you are a student I doubt your access is going to pass, sounds like u do have a bunch of fools, letting you get access like that, and not knowing what they are doing and all ,but I am pretty sure that the district has a policy that prohibits such a thing, if not they should

look at it this way that teacher lets someone tie in(you), an audit is performed, or someone stumbles across your box, they dig and find questionable material, and that teacher is gone, the school IS responsible

also its like opening up a vien to you, the potential for damage, hacking, virus, etc. to the system is mind boggling

but they may let u, and if so they are nuts

yes turd, i DO see your point about getting the teacher, school, etc into trouble, and under any other circumstances i would be telling someone else asking this question the same things you've told me.. but the town goto school in isnt like chicago or anything.. i have 50 people in my class.. yes i am a student, a junior, the teacher is my shop/electronics teacher.. everyone knows everyone, small town that sorta thing... i'm accessing the internet (trying to, pretty much given up for some reason i just cant seem to get it to work), so i can download large files, like i said.. mostly stuff for my games to be honest.. mods and such.. then pack up and go home... my teacher ok'ed, the admin ok'ed it if i could get it working.. because she couldnt.. period. thats it, no one cares, no one ever will care, and even if they did, no adult in my school, or my district for that matter.. has an IQ over that of a wet paper bag.. i DO see understand what you are trying to say... thanks for responding, although i'll be bringin the pos back monday, for i have just plain run out of ideas with it...

look, more than like your network at school assigns IP's automatically. make sure that your personal pc has the same workgroup name as the pcs there at the school. Aslo make sure you have the same exact settings as those at school.

You may have said that you have everything setup exactly as those in the lab but it could be your workgroup name. Plus make sure you have the "specify IP address" unchecked if IPs are assisgned through DHCP because if you hook up and type in your own IP address you will throw the entire school's network off.

Beleive me I have had "SO TECHs" come in the lab where I used to work and mess with the IPs and I had IP conflicts all over the College of Business Admin. building over 300 plus PCs and they all began to pop up IP CONFLICT because of some dumb *** who tried to hook their lap top to the network.

Back