• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do i run win xp repair from cd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ferria

hi all,

somehow win xp got mixd up and it missing a file.how do i repair xp from the original cd?

thanks in advance

boot from the CD, hit enter, press F8 to accept the agreement, highlight the OS, and hit R...good luck!

thanks for the answer ,but it wants me to type something in the recovery console. what should i type?

no, no, no...:D

boot from the CD...while it is loading the drivers, it asks you to press R for recovery...you pressed it, didn't you? Don't....:D

Load up to the startup screen, where it asks you to hit enter if you want to install XP...hit enter...

hit F8 to agree to the license agreement...

The next screen will automatically detect your current install, and ask you to hit R if you want to repair...hit R

try it again, and good luck!

thanks for the input guys non of them worked so i am going to istall win xp all over(missing file :window/system32/confg/system)

takiwa,after hitting F8 it shows my harddrive and the only choices are deleting or installing nothing with repair

thank you guys for your time

I used to get that alot when overclocking my 2.0 willamette too high. All I found that works is reinstalling the os. I installed my os updated it and installed drivers then made a ghost bootable cd to be able to restore incase of the problem again alot faster.:D

are you overclocked? You need to set it back to stock speeds to do an install/repair...if the o/c is why the file is missing/corrupt....just a thought

Which repair did you use from the CD. The first prompt for repair only works if you made a recovery disk through the backup window in windows itself. The second prompt is is for for manually repairing through the recovery console, which is a limited type of dos. The third recovery option is for a automated repair that will come after you select the partition information and it will then try and detect a previous version of windows. The third one uses the windows installer to check for bad or missing files and replace them as needed. The third one sounds like its the one that you should use. Probably what happened is that your boot.ini file is missing or corrupted, which happens every once in a while

Back