• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SHMUCK has me beat...an 8500LE with 3.3ns!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AarontheJC

Haha, he goes off and buys an 8500LE from newegg last week, gets it here, and has 3.3ns. I bought the real deal and got 4ns!

I'm jealous. We're going to be benching it tonight...let you know how it comes out. No more MX200 with a corb, eh Tim? We're putting the crystal orb on his 8500 tonight, and maybe we'll cut up some of these 486 sinks I have lying around.

The worst part is, he's only going to be home to use it until June 26! Military Academy will do that to you.

He's calling for a crossover to get us going on some "benchmarks." I'll post back when we really get around to 3DMark.

Congrats to Tim...better not go to sleep or the radeon gremlins will come and get your 3.3ns RAM!

Tim's rig:

ECS K7S5A
AMD TB950
256MB PC2100
ATI Radeon 8500LE 3.3ns
WD 40GB ATA100 7200 rpm

My rig:

Epox 8KHA+
XP 1700+
256MB Crucial 2100
ATI Radeon 8500 4ns
Maxtor 60GB ATA100 7200rpm

1st round of testing with 3DMark2001 (first ed) completed.

Both rigs were tested with 8500s at 230/460.

Tim's Score: 5698
Aaron Score: 7299

Tim's using the new 6052's and I'm using the old 3286's. I'm going to update and post again.

Using Powerstrip, Tim's card couldn't hardly get up to 260/260. We took the crystal orb off of his MX and are preparing to mount it on his 8500. Hopefully, that will give us a few more MHz. We'll see about those RAMsinks and he's thinking about the voltmod/Video BIOS update but, like I said, he'll only be using this card for a little more than 2 months. After that, it's his little sister's toy. A sad ending...maybe we can glorify it with the highest LE score...hmmmm...we'll keep you posted.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm running my XP on a 133FSB. We're both using WinXP. I'll post back.

3DMark is run at defaults.

When I tested my rig out initially, I was running an all-but bare installation of OS and necessary benchmarking utils. My sig shows my 3DMark over 9000. This is what I'm used to. To get there, I used major cooling on my video card -clocked darned close to 300/600 and I had my FSB up to 150, which gave me a bit of an edge for my AGP bus etc.

Here, we see fairly predictable and really everyday scores for the clock speeds used. Basically, by overclocking your 8500's core (or mine at least) in 5 MHz increments, you will find your 3DMark score increases about 50 points. You get just under that for each 5 MHz overclock on your RAM. Well, my RAM at least. I see about 35-40 points difference in each 5MHz increment on my 4ns RAM.

Looking at my initial scores with default settings when I first assembled my computer (7713 @250/500 133FSB) I see a 414 point drop. Since I lost 20MHz clock and 20MHz RAM -and this is using my overclocked rough estimate from above- I should expect a score between 7353-7373. Of course, I didn't use real statistics there, I just plugged in numbers. I have a project for my stat class that I'll really do the math for, but not until I have to.

With the speeds on my Radeon clocked at LE standards, I have an about on-par score, I think. Of course, there are other differences in the 8500 and the 8500LE, but I'm not accounting for those. I didn't account for driver differences either. This is just a test of Tim's card. He's really excited about it. "Wow, Ghost Recon never ran so smoothly!" Now we have to get Kennedy to step up. His next upgrade will probably be the R300...if he can wait that long.

The scores are alright...not great, but predictable.

You may have the 3.3ns RAM, Shmuck, but that won't do you any good when I pop around the corner with my M4!

Forgot to mention:

Great Avatar! Can't wait for it to come out. (WC3, right?)

Shmuck and I were both huge fans of Warcraft II and we played over the phone line for hours...ah, those were the days...

well, guest of honor for a night.

I supposed I probably should reply to a post made in my honor...or rather, in the honor of my shiny new Radeon 8500.

I really have joined the fold...and it feels good. Despite 3DMark scores that may seem low, keep in mind that was at 130/260, and that I am using a 950 tbird with 100Mhz FSB. Not seriously O/Ced, but my rig is literally ten times better now.

No Crorb on it yet though...stupid Arctic won't come off...any suggestions anyone? I'll have to go to another post for that problem.

The Radeon was worth every penny...I really got a good deal, for everybody out there who is just reading...I got it from Newegg...
it came packaged very securely, it looks very pretty, and it was shipped in 3 days. Furthermore, I paid $128 for it, and was expecting 4 ns RAM like my friend here.

One thing we need to work on is the voltage problem...I got errors past 155/310. I have it at 150/300 right now, and I am not anxious to kill my card.
Thanks to all those guys out there who hazed me for boasting about my GeForce 2 MX200 with a crorb. Now I am in the game.
And BTW, aaron, bring it on...I have a steyer surprise waiting for you. (Don't screw with Israel.)

Hmmmm. Check up on those for us there, Shmuck. I think you've got the frequencies wrong on those tests. Your stock ratings were 230/460 (230x2). Check up on that.

Hahaha! Don't screw with Israel he says...inside joke. Good one, Shmuck!

Tracert said:
Yes,

we are all waiting for WCIII. Waiting... and waiting... and wait....

zzzzzzzzzzzz
i got to beta test it....you guys should wait for it....its WELL DESERVED THE MONEY IT WILL COST!!

Back