• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im H2O now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToTalXS

Registered
Smack dab in the center of a non-DSL world.
OK just wanted to let you folks know that I have my watercooling setup installed..this is what I have and what it cost
-One Heater Core............Free
-One Rio 600 (200gph)..$16.00
-One Koolance WB.........$25.00
_MIsc. hoses&clamps.....$15.00
-Res(Gladware container) 3/$2.00
-ToTal................................$58.00
Ok I know what your saying...man this guy is a tight-a$$...well your right...I wanted (or my wife wanted) to spend the least amount possible to achieve my goal...My goal was to have an H2O system...and I achieved my goal for less than 60 dollars...now for the nitty gritty.......IDLE temps are 29C and full throttle for two hours was 40C.......considering the price and the lesser quality of the products I got I would say thats good...real good......one thing I should mention is that I put four 80mm fans on the heater core.....I didnt want to buy any 120mm fans cause well that would cost money and I already had plenty of smaller ones.......because of the water cooling I no longer run any fans through the case just the four on the heater core and the tiny one on the northbridge.......so the sound level has decreased as well.......Now for OCing before with HSF(Volcano5) I was only able to reach 1485 with my 1.4 athlon...now with the water I am curently running 1552 with no sign of stopping yet...but I plan on taking it slow small incremental steps....anyway I just wanted to share my experience with this and to let some people know that you dont have to spend $200 to be water cooled.......peace

-PS sorry this is so long........:beer:

Those 80 mm fans give great flow when used in numbers. I have a 120mm 131cfm (7 volt modded) .

I didn't want to get a new 120mm because it was pointless since I have two great 45cfm 80mm fans.

Dropped my load temps by 2 degrees C!!

Frodo Baggins said:
that's beautiful man, But I can't really see wher eyou hoold your reservoir. Cna't be in your case, considering it's big...can it?

It's in his case either in the 5"1/2 bays or another bay.

I dont get it, what is the benefit over his water system and getting a really good HSF such as the mc462a + 38cfm delta fan? I mean it cant be noise since he has all those fans. Now if he cooled the system to 32C and below at full load I would see the need ;(. Could someone explain to me the benefit of a water cooling system if the gains are comparable to a similarly price fan+heatsink cooling system?

Last edited:
gordon said:
I dont get it, what is the benefit over his water system and getting a really good HSF such as the mc462a + 38cfm delta fan? I mean it cant be noise since he has all those fans. Now if he cooled the system to 32C and below at full load I would see the need ;(. Could someone explain to me the benefit of a water cooling system if the gains are comparable to a similarly price air+heatsink cooling system?

actually I removed four fans from my system the other four were still running to provide airflow to the top of the case....it is quieter...albeit not a whole lot though........and I also explained that I was not able to overclock past 1485 with the hsf but now Im at 1552 and planning on going higher.......hope this clarifies.....also I only spent 58 bucks on the whole thing...basically I just wanted a h2o system and I got it.....for 58 bucks.........did I mention it only cost 58 bucks?....hehehehe...peace

gordon said:
I dont get it, what is the benefit over his water system and getting a really good HSF such as the mc462a + 38cfm delta fan? I mean it cant be noise since he has all those fans. Now if he cooled the system to 32C and below at full load I would see the need ;(. Could someone explain to me the benefit of a water cooling system if the gains are comparable to a similarly price fan+heatsink cooling system?

Like he said. There can be even no noise (You buy a big radiator and fill it up with low noise 92mm, four of them if you want your cooling to be efficent and it'll be very quiet like a stock cooling.

Air can't be efficent always. In the summer people have to throttle down their overclocks, and you might have to keep adding fans etc.

Water is much cooler, it is more efficent with a not top of the line setup.

Yodums

it looks like you have air sucking out of your case thru your rad, wich is bad, reverse the flow and i bet your temps will go down almost 10c!!!

maskedgeek said:
it looks like you have air sucking out of your case thru your rad, wich is bad, reverse the flow and i bet your temps will go down almost 10c!!!

Actually thats the way I had it setup to begin with and it made little to no difference.......except that the sound it made was anoying for some reason.....maybe I need to smooth out the edges that the fans are mounted to.........but exhausting out the case doesnt make the noise....dont know why...damn aleins f**kin wit my stuff again...hehehe........

Back