• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need info, Rogers@home users w/ Linux.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yodums

I need you to respond to this thread on what version of Linux your using and how to set it up. With about 3 previous installs of Linux, I never got the internet to work on each install. I tried the static-ip thing.

I need this ASAP.

Yodums

I have a cable modem, using Mandrake 8.2...

Most are done using DHCP though, so you would want to select DHCP instead of entering a static IP... for your outside world NIC (usually eth0).

have you tried running netconf or linuxconf? to change the settings...

Yup, most are done with DHCP. Unless you are running static IP on your internal network (like me). You also need to check your authentication type. Most cable and DSL use PPPoE. Or if you are using dial up, just use PPP. Don't use a winmodem, as these will never work. In answer to you question I am running:

Redhat 7.2
Kernel 8.4.18 (compiled myself for AMD!)
Ximian gnome

I don't know much about mandrake. However, I do know alot about linux. I am Cisco certified and have a Batchelors degree in Computer Communications. So I can prob help out

:)

F.Y.I Some NIC require a custom compile of tulip. (IBM i think, but not sure)

kernel 8.4.18 :D lol i like... but its gotta be a typo ;)

actually there are linmodems too!!! it's some where in the LDP be where they get some winmodems to work in linux.

To my knowledge when I was using Mandrake 8.1, I had DHCP on and it wasn't a go. I'm going to give it another install, but any tips or recommendation during the install and how to config it?

Would you type netconf in the command?

yeah, you'd want to type netconf (enter... duh :D) in a shell. or you could use linuxconf too, and just look in the networking tab, and i believe it's under "basic host information" or something like that...

What distro of linux are you using? I'm doubting that you would have gotten around to recompiling the kernel... and unselecting the kernel module for your NIC... Are there multiple NICs involved as well?

They still make winmodems... i think i saw one the other day at staples... its been awhile since ive seen a modem for an ACR though... i dont think ive seen one retail though...

have you checked to make sure that you have the "right" cable plugged into the right NIC? Sounds like a stupid question though, but you may have confused the two NICs... I've done it before :D

I'm guessing that both of the NICS are detected and working? Because if that's the case, the reason you can't get your networking working is because the wrong cable is in the wrong NIC...

You'll also want to figure out which one is eth0 the one used to connect to the cable modem. And which one is eth1 the one used for your personal network. You can set which NIC is which by using netconf or linuxconf.

eth0: you'll want to use DHCP and activate at boot, that should be the most you will need to specify for that

eth1: i would setup using a static IP of something like 192.168.0.1 or something like that... and take that cable and plug it into a hub/switch (not the uplink port) and then connect other computers to the hub/switch, and set their IP's to something in the 192.168._._ net while using the IP of what ever you picked for the IP of eth1 (your gateway address)

And that should get most everything working...

Well, before my Eth0 would fail at bootup because it couldn't detect an ip? I believe it was RH 7.2 where it would stall for a minute on my eth0 (My ISP ethernet), and it wouldn't detect nothing and gave me a 'Fail'.

And yes my cable is plugged into the right ethernet ;)

Hahahahahhahahahahhahahhahaa

Right now I'm posting this from Linux Mandrake 8.2!!!! :)

Thanks for all the help people.

Oh yeah just remembered that RH7.2's DHCP client sucks :D
it's defective and doesn't work properly at times... that could be why.

It's not unusual to be waiting for upto a minute at boot for your NIC to come up... depending on your lease and DHCP server... if it takes longer i usually unplug the power from mine for a few minutes and plug it back in and then all's good... this happens more often for me using linux, than windoze... when it happens occasionally...

since you're running Mandrake try out BastilleLinux for your firewalling ipmasqing stuff. "InteractiveBastille" in a shell

and commands like
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network
are really nice, it'll give you options like , start, stop, restart, status, and probe

How do I configure a proxy? Are there downable skins? :)

It rocks so far, but I need some more options since I'm pretty new to this.

IMO the average home user that runs several other networked PCs shouldn't need a proxy, in the sense of having a computer go out and download a bunch of websites, and then feeding those pages to the computers on your private LAN. Because being on broadband you have more than enough bandwidth to retrieve files off of the net.

Now what it seems that you want to do is to share your connection. Being that you are using Mandrake 8.2 if you open up the Mandrake Control Center (or by running drakconf in a terminal) select the networking icon>connection sharing... this should run you through a wizard, to share your connection.

in the kde menu look in the configuration>KDE>look n feel i believe and you'll find some stuff to configure the way your X sessions look.

Back