• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dry Conditioning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aceman

fig4a.gif

How It All Works:
There are three parts to the DryKor liquid desiccant system. First, there is the collection operation. Here, a cool, concentrated salt (lithium chloride) solution is continually added to the top of the media (a honeycomb cellulose material), which forms a liquid film that flows down (or floods) the surface of the media.

As the stream of air flowing in from the outside, called process air, comes in contact with the cool concentrated solution, the air’s water molecules react with the lithium chloride solution and the air is cooled. The salt solution absorbs or collects the humidity and generates heat.

As a result, the air flowing out is drier and cooler than the air flowing in. This dry, cool air is then pumped into the air conditioning system for further cooling, if needed, before being delivered into the indoor space. The lithium chloride solution, as a result of the process, becomes warm and diluted.

Second, there is the heat exchange operation. Here, a portion of the solution is pumped through a filter and a heat exchanger. By using a heat pump, the heat created during the collection operation is transferred to the regeneration operation. The heat is necessary for the regeneration of the lithium chloride solution.

The third and final operation concerns regeneration. The regeneration operation is similar to the collection operation, except that the lithium chloride solution is now heated to remove the moisture previously collected. The heated diluted solution is continually added to the top of the media. As in the collection operation, the solution forms a liquid film that flows down or floods the surface of the media.

As a stream of air, called the scavenger airstream, passes through the media, the moisture and heat in the solution is released into the airstream and carried outside. As a result of the regeneration operation, the lithium chloride solution is restored to its original strength. It is then pumped back to the collection side and added to the top of the media. During the regeneration process, the solution passes through a washable filter, which removes the particles from the solution. Results of a study done by an independent industrial testing laboratory in Israel show that this technology removes 77% of airborne particles larger than 5 microns. An added benefit of this air-washing process is that the air supplied into the indoor environment has a natural, fresh quality free of smoke and odors.

Variant ideas so far...
Use a peltier & heatsinks for heat transfer from the conditioned side to the exhaust side instead of compressor & heat exchangers.
Researching cheap possibilities for dessicant mixture.

This could be built small much like a dual-bong with cullose-pads. Best of both worlds, your air remains nice and dry, you can evaporative cool on the hot-side (outside case), and since case is nice and dry, you can pelt like a mad man ;) Sealing case is important. When I come up with some spare $ I plan on building a variant of this, most of components will fit in case. Liquid out of case for hot-side to evaporative cool further. Should only need 4 120mm fan's to do the job.

Has anyone come across this before?
Thoughts/Ideas appreciated...

if anyone want's to build before I do, please let me know as I want to post pics & review on website..

thanks !

Liquid Desiccant Operation
Liquid desiccant technology has been in use for many years, primarily in process applications requiring dehumidification and humidity control. In some applications, it may be more energy efficient than traditional defrost or dry desiccant systems.

A liquid desiccant system is able to capture and remove airborne pathogens from the airstream. Growing concern about food-borne disease along with recent processing facility shut downs and associated financial penalties make this attribute an important consideration.

The principal of liquid desiccant operation is similar to that of dry desiccant systems; the difference is the evaporator coil (figure 1). In a liquid desiccant system continuous spray of liquid desiccant is pumped over a specially designed evaporator coil. The air to be conditioned is moved across the coil and into the conditioned space by means of a fan. Because the coil never freezes and defrost cycles are not required, the leaving-air conditions remain constant.

Liquid desiccant systems can be used with any type of refrigerant or refrigeration system. Mediums include salt (sodium chloride, calcium chloride or lithium chloride) and propylene glycol. Calcium and lithium chloride use is not permitted with edible food product. With sodium chloride, temperatures are limited to approximately -6°F (-21.1°C), but its use is permissible around edible food product. The biggest problem with inorganic salt solutions is that they are highly corrosive. Thus, there is the potential for increased maintenance costs.

Propylene glycol is well-suited for liquid desiccant systems used in food processing operations. It:

Is approved by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) for use in food plants.

Does not have corrosive characteristics.

Is antimicrobial.

Is effective as a food preservative.

Is more effective than the inorganic salts at lower temperatures.
The temperature and concentration of the desiccant liquid determines the leaving dry bulb and dewpoint.

In a glycol system, the concentrator portion monitors and adjusts the desiccant's concentration levels by removing excess moisture. Glycol is circulated through the concentrator, which heats the solution to about 150°F (65.6°C). In addition to rejecting the moisture, the heating process neutralizes any microorganisms in the solution. A heat exchanger between the evaporator and concentrator minimizes energy usage.

Recent tests were performed by Daniel Amsterdam, Ph.D., professor of microbiology at the State University of New York at Buffalo. Samples of Listeria monocytogenes, Salmonella B and Yersinia enterocolitica were exposed to three glycol solutions under conditions that simulated in-use operations. These contaminants can be found in food and beverage production, storage and distribution as well as the pharmaceutical industry. Each species of bacteria was cultured in the glycol solution at a range of temperatures.

Results showed that 99.9% of the microorganisms were inhibited within 0.5 hr when exposed to the glycol solutions. In no case was any bacterial activity noted while the organisms were in the glycol solutions.

:) Anti-freeze :)

Materials:

Water Pump (2):
crafters2000_1683_626187.gif

http://www.artisticdelights.com/newpump.html

water pump/fountain pump = $9 ea, 3-22in lift, 60gph

Specifications:
Gallons per hour: to 65
Flow settings: 4
Size: 1-3/8" across x 1-3/4" deep x 1" high

HeatSinks (2):
sagetac_1682_856659.gif

http://www.pcwebshopper.com/amdatslotcpu.html
$5 ea, long, slot style

Peltier (1):
v1550sm.jpg

http://becooling.safeshopper.com/10/15.htm?887
72W peltier. 15 Volt, 8.5 Amp:
$ 14.99

Cellulose = use a cellulose sponge ;)
byardhealth_1683_215742.gif

http://www.barnyardhealth.com/celspon2pk.html
$2.50

cut some sorta openings to maximize airflow, and insert into heatsink-fins

Dessicant Fluid:

Antifreeze (Propylene glycol), or salt water (sodium chloride) "The biggest problem with inorganic salt solutions is that they are highly corrosive."

Essentially, this is an evaporative cooling process, but incorporating a humidity transfer through the dessicant.

that's exactly what it is.. lol...

I just tossed it up two minutes ago..

i'm working on it and just dumping out text, unformatted, as i go..

eventually I'll write up a lil tuto and howto w/ nice pics of my rig as I build..

i just bought the two pumps ahd cpu heatsinks.. got sponges, and anti-freeze, gonna investigate antifreeze vs 35:65 methanol/water as well.

i've got the design all figured out, and am also researching using the same fluid as is in the cpu-cooling system (instead of making this seperate)..

basically this is an evaporative case-cooler with de-humidification properties... good for that guy in Thailand lol...

Don't use methanol in an open system...
It evaporates quickly, even in below 0 temps.
It's flammmable when mixed with less than 50% or so water, and also very flammable while it's evaporating. It will evaporate out of the water.
It's poisonous.
It's not even very good smelling. (the least of it's shortcomings)

Just a headsup, don't wanna see you die for the hobby, bud.
And Welcome to the forums!

Yah, good point, I'll have to check into the volitility of the 35/65 solution.. we'll see ;)

Back