• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some Insight

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A170Y

Hey everyone.

In about a month, Im going to put together a new computer. I've done this kind of stuff before, but this was 3 years ago and I dont know whats new out there or whats changed. Can you guys recommend me a cpu and motherboard combo that works real good together, not many problems, and room for future upgrades. Money is no matter... well maybe under $500 :D

o yeah... im look for something to match with an AMD cpu and of course a mobo with agp slot... 6x + pci.. and whatever else i left out.. thx

do you need to build an entire rig for under $500, or do you have some components you're gonna reuse, like hard drives, sound cards, modems....

How you answer that question will change my answer.

What will not change is this. Wait until the Thourobred chips are out, and buy a good motherboard that is guaranteed to support them, whether you buy a T-bred or not. A good solid motherboard is a MUST have. You can save money by buying a slower processor, Less HD space, less RAM, using onboard audio... But without a good motherboard, you'll never be happy with your system.

The KT400 mobos should be out soon, so keep an eye out for one of them.

Assuming money is an issue, here's my recommendations:

• Processor: 1.1 or 1.2 Duron to start with. They're cheap, and very good performers.
  • 256 MB pc2100 should do, especially if you're going with a duron. Get Crucial or Corsair. (My 2 favorites)

If you have a little more cash to spare:
  • Processor: Low end Thourobred.
  • 512 MB PC2700 or PC3000 Corsair.

Most of the other stuff is up to you, and what you want to do with the system.

Back