• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network Decisions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD'er

Ok I have been putting off setting up a network for some time now but its a must. The only problem is I can't determine if I should go wireless or hardwire. I can get a hardwire Linksys for around 80 Bucks, some cat 5, and a Nic for $14 for second desktop located downstairs. So around $110 at the most I have a 3 PC's networked.

But at the same time the 3rd PC is my Lap Top. Wireless would be o so useful with the labtop but yes its a pretty penny. I really can't make up my mind on which I should do. Wireless or Hardwire?

Maybe some input will help make my decision within the next week.

I'm not a big fan of wireless. It has trouble going through numerous walls. You're lucky to get the range that most manufacturers say it's capable of. The only outstanding wireless products are the one's you pay a pretty penny for. But those one's are worth the money. They perform.

Normal copper networks are simple. They are easy. They are tried and true. But they tie you down. If you want wireless on the laptop why not go with a hybrid system. Put the desktops on copper and the notebook on wireless. You get the best of both worlds and it's not as expensive.

Hybrid! never heard it put that way but thats what I was going to do. My main rig was going to be Cat 5. But my other machine is on the lower level of the house and I didn't want to drill holes through the floor to run Cat 5.

thanks for your input

Back