• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get a old heatsink of a card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. $T$

How do you get a heatsink of a pny geforce2 Video card, and what is the best card cooler there is.

If its the original heatsink and fan, Try the freezing trick first. Pus the card in a static free bag, and place it in the freezer for about 15 to 30 min. After it gets nice and cold, lay a old credit card or something similar down on the card under the edge fo the heatsink, this will be used for a prying pad. Then use a screwdriver and lay under edge of heatsink and twist the screwdriver up. This will usally work. But use your best judgement as to when to quit applying presure. This is the site where I learned this. There are some picks also you can look at to get a idea. Maybe it will help some. I know this card isnt a gf2 card but the same principle applys.

Good Luck
http://www.rage3d.com/radeon/cooling/

I do not know what exactly is in the epoxy they use to attach stock HSF to cards, but some sort of solvent will probably work

WHEN YOU DO THIS, BE VERY VERY CAREFULL ( As if you wouldn't be :D ) Its all to easy to take a resistor or capicaitor off.

I found that a sharp knife, working at each side of the chip very very slowly works like a treat. Also, remember that if you put the card in the freezer, put it in an antistatic bag first.

Back