• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would fold faster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wyno

I was just wondering what would fold faster a p3 450 or a K6-2 orK6-3 of roughly the same speed? If the AMD is considerably faster I'm gonna sell the p3.

Even though i'm an AMD fan, i'd have to say the P3 in this case. I believe that back in the K6 days, the AMD chips weren't as up to par as the athlons & durons of present.

Dont know if this is allowed but if not then it will be removed or edited. How much is the p3 450 worth? I would sell it with or without the gateway mobo? Might just sell it and get cheap mobo and duron.

Wyno said:
Dont know if this is allowed but if not then it will be removed or edited. How much is the p3 450 worth? I would sell it with or without the gateway mobo? Might just sell it and get cheap mobo and duron.

Asking about the price is ok. BUt as for asking who wants to buy it. That is what the classifieds are for. You have over 100 posts so you are allowed to post in there. I would imagine someone should scoop that up.

Good Luck seeling it.

What kind of motherboard do you have it on? If you have one that will allow you to select a 133 fsb speed, you stand a fair chance of it running at 600 mhz on a 133 fsb. It wouldn't be the fastest folder on the planet but it would still be able to turn out a fair amount of work. As far as what you could get for it, I don't think that you could get much more than $50 for the proc and cpu together because it is so old and slow. This is only my opinion though and you might want to hear a few more before trying to post it for sale in the classifieds.

As far as the mobo/duron is concerned, that is an excellent idea. Newegg had some refurb shuttle AK31 boards for well less than $50 the other day shipped and they have a 30 day warrantee. One of those and a duron for around $100 would make a good folding rig.

muddocktor said:
As far as what you could get for it, I don't think that you could get much more than $50 for the proc and cpu together because it is so old and slow.

Am I missing something here? ;) :D

I think he meant the proc and mobo. I was looking at newegg today and saw the shuttle ak32 ver3 for 45 bucks. I would only have about $50 into a decent folder. This is sounding better all the time.

Yes, I'm talking about the P3 proc and mobo combo, not the duron!:p

I know that I wouldn't give more than that for the reason stated about the duron/AK31; it's only about $100 and also it's a lot newer.

Thats what I was kinda figuring on to. Its worth the $50 to me have a better folder. I saw a couple k6-2 in the clasifieds with mobo for $40- $45

Back