• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rustymaitland

is there a burn period after i apply arctic silver 3 to my duron 1ghz? my temps right now are crap after applying. maybe i not sure what the normal temps are for this type of cpu. i don't game at all. i use this rig for music and surfing. i was using a volcano II on the duron but switched over to a sk-6 with the arctic silver. i am seeing temps of 100-102 farh. is this normal. on the sk-6 i have the delta screamer volted to 12v.

You probably used too much AS. You only need a blob about the size of ½ a grain of rice. Also make sure that you clean the cpu/hs properly with acetone or nail polish remover.

When they say "clean thje surface" on the AS3 pack, they mean clean like a CPU manufacture room, not spit and polish :D I have learnt this through a similar experience.

I'd suggest a q-tip and white spirit, as well as 800-1000 grit wet and dry.

Your temps are not too bad (~ 37 deg.) so I wouldn't be too worried. It takes about 24-48 hours of stressing the cpu to cure the AS3, but the result will gain you at most a couple of degrees.

If you do decide to reinstall the HSF, you could try lapping the HSF. This will gain you at least a couple of more degrees (I always work in Celsius, so it will be a bit more in Fahrenheits). Then clean all surfaces with alcohol or acetone. DO NOT use sandpaper on the cpu core. Some have done it with no problems, but the majority have managed to damage the cpu.

When you're ready to apply the AS3 follow the directions posted here.

Good luck.

azhari: i was actually reading those instructions when i applied cause i printed them off. i question how much i applied but i know i took a look after i let the hsf get comfy and the entire surface of the die was lightly coated. no extra compound leaking over the sides or anything like that.

In that case I would say you're running fine.

The next thing you need to look at is your case temp. I have over 8 case fans to bring the temp as close to room temp as possible. Every degree above room temp translates to the cpu running about a degree hotter. So, what is your case temp? One way to find out if you have good case ventilation is to take the side off and aim a room fan at the insides (of course place the fan far enough not to interfere with your monitor and comp). If the case runs much cooler, then you know what you need to do ;)

azhari:

thanks again for the insight. i have some findings. i have 2 rigs. one intel and one amd. both 1ghz each. intel rig is in an antec sx1030 file server case. i knew i was bought a decent case cause i noticed lower temps right off the bat. it has 2 case fans in the rear, 1 in the front, an enermax 400 + watt p/s, and the thermaltake 6 cu+.

my second rig is an amd rig. the case is not nearly as good as my first machine. it has 1 front fan pulling and 1 in the rear. i have a thermalright sk-6 with delta 38cfm fan. i took temps at 4 this afternoon. they are as follows.

amd---cpu temp = 33 celsius or 91 farh. window in solarium open providing fresh cool air to the whole room. even the intel system benefited.
system temp for amd was 30 celsius or 87 farh.

now i can live with these temps. they don't bother me.

i left for the evening. i must note that when i left my condo i shut every window. when i entered my room where the computers were left running i noticed it was kind of warm. the city is warming up dramatically over the next few hours as we are expecting 90 degree weather tomorrow. i was going to open the window but i decided to take the temp of the amd rig. here is what i found. with the window closed the cpu temp was 40 celsius!!!! i ran the machine a bit then i opended the window and within 5 minutes the tepms had dropped 2 degrees.

this ultimately leads me to believe that my case is at fault and is not providing me with the opt scenario for cooling.
if you concur let me know.

i am on the prowl for another antec case i think!!!

sorry for the long *** post.

i can live with those temps

What has been said pretty much covers whats needed to know and what not.. but I didnt quite follow your last post there.
Now heres the best way to tell if its the case that is the problem.

take temps here like this

case sides on
cpu ~ case ~ room

case sides off
cpu ~ case ~ room

case sides off ~ large fan pointed in the case
cpu ~ case ~ room

how do your temps vary there? My room gets very hot right now during the day due to it warming up outside and the 3 systems running 24/7 here.

I know that this has already been said, maybe if you can post the temps like the way I have it there I might be able to understand what exactly it is there....

I think you've found the problem rusty. Your cpu is running only 3 deg. above case temp (when idle). That is very good. All you need to do now is to get the case temp down. So getting a better case WITH more fans should be a tremendous help. BUT, be forewarned. Its going to get noisier :( That's what made me go to water cooling. So you may think about that instead of spending on a new case you could buy water cooling kit. Just a thought.

all thoughts noted. going to recheck my hsf install first to see if that improves then i am going too look at a new case. thanks guys. :)

Back