• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ARGH! Little idiot!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanFraser

My brother turned off my pc for EIGHT hours! That has killed my stats now! I feel like killing the little blighter! I only have one PC, so I have to leave this computer running SETI@Home all the time (gonna get a second one VERY soon) to get crunching as fast as possible!

I hope the rest of the team feels like killing him, coz that was two WUs time wasted! (hey, one computer dont forget! not much power to get through a lot!)

You'll live - cut the little fella some slack and just let him know to leave the computer running from now on. I used to feel the same way when I only had two computers, and my wife would close seti when she was emaling people and she would forget to start it when she was done. I finally found the best solution to that was to have a friendly discussion about it, and then she let me build 12 computers to run seti....she still forgets to restart it :rolleyes:

LOL about that story TC.

Admiral, chill :)

My bro use to email as well, and he use to shut off the computer, I began to be rather paranoid and set passwords and I obviously got in trouble. I did it the quick and easy way, I told him to not shut it off or do anything just e-mail and I left a note on the screen.

He sometimes did it but now it never happens. Your doing the best you can to contribute so it's all good.

Yeah, I'd be mad too. People who don't know how to f-ing follow the simplist of instructions **** me off.

My cousin and I, over my Pentium:

Me: "You see this? You see this?" *Points to power switch*

"DON'T TOUCH IT!!!"

Him: "Ok"

*Walks back to playing Halo*

Ten minutes later, I hear the *Ka-click* of a power switch being pressed. I get back over there, and a Pentium that had held it's own at 95% system resources for 34 DAYS was dead silent.

I just *had* to let him check his stupid e-mail, stupid little...

...little brat. :mad:

if i were you, id get the program that hides seti in the taskbar, and then open up my case and reroute the power to the power switch to another switch at the back (for you only of course).

when he switches it off, nothing happens, and since seti is hidden the wife cant forget to restart it. simple.:cool:

ha ha...I realized that I was too uptight about what my computer was doing when I would wake up and check on the second rig to make sure no one turned it off. My roomies 13 yr old son now knows how to turn on SETI and makes sure it is running for me. I kinda figure his enjoyment of the computer is worth more than the occasional missing WU...so I dont fret anymore. Is this hobby of ours not addictive? Especially when we get mad at family and friends over a WU!!!!

LOL... I know how you feel!! I got a single cruncher too (466Mhz whoopie!) and my parents used to throw it into standby overnight (since they sleep in the same room), but for some reason lately they have stopped. I am very grateful because that means I get half a WU done overnight now :rolleyes:

Lately though, I'm getting kinda annoyed at my siblings at playing The Sims. With such little CPU horsepower, SETI and Sims don't get along. I had 2 14 and one half hour WUs and then the next day, they install The Sims. Very next WU is 19 and a half hours!!! That's what I average, but I changed some stuff to get it to 14 hours. Then they screw it up by playing Sims 24/7

I feel your pain :mad: :)
JigPu

My big problem was fans, only 12 or so of them going in the room where everyone watches tv. My solution was a cable line to a back bedroom, and a recliner back there too. No one comes into the living room anymore, so it turned out to be a big office!

It'll be alright, my kids learned to leave the stereo alone, too...just took a couple of gentle lessons...

that is all bad, but the worst is when YOU (including me) forget to turn in back on.....12hrs go by and then that little voice in the back of your head telling you something is wrong gets really loud.

Back