• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me with dsl and the rents!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

hey i think i am finally getting broadband.. whoo hoo! my mom said last night that if i pay for all the stuff initially - activation, networking our computers, etc etc.. that she'd pay the rest after that... seems like the only way i'll ever get rid of this dialup so i think its a go.. anywho, she wants a list with cost of ALL the things i'd need to put on her discover card.. we're talking modem (i want to buy my own it'd be cheaper wouldnt it in the long run?) phone filters (cause we'd only have 1 line now get rid of the 2nd one) etc etc etc.. i will need to network 3 or 4 computers, and the things i ALREADY have, if they'll help are:

-4 port netgear hub
-all the cat5 a guy could wish for :)
-2 nics

2 systems run win98se and mine dual boots winxppro and win98se... any good guides or sites.. on setting this whole thing up, would be GREATLY appreciated.. thanks alot guys!

Here are the pros and cons of the equipment angle

if you buy your own modem it will be cheaper but tech support is done though the modem's manufacture first.

if you get it from your ISP it will be more exspencive but you will get tech support though the ISP as well as the modem manufacture.

The easiest way to share a connection is though a router

I'm using DSL, using their router (mostly because I'm too lazy to try to find another one) and a netgear hub.

we use phone filters (no way around them, as long as the routers live) and that's it. we have 6 computers sharing, and it works ok. Tho I'd rather have Cable internet

most my question was how to actually share the net with the computers.. what to plug into and where that sorta thing, thats the only stuff i have left to figure out

When I got DSL they supplied the modem, the filters, at no extra cost to me. you hook the modem to the phone line then hook up a router( I would suggest you get one) then hook that to your computers with the cat 5. So as far as I can tell you need the router and a couple of nics and DSL service. You hook the filters up to all the outlets you have regular phones plugged into to prevent interference. Check with your DSL services and see what they offer. Good luck. The router uses DHCP to give all the computers on the network individual ips and that will take care of all the comps getting online. You just set them up individually to lan in the network settings.

so it sounds pretty easy.. i will be able to access interent with all pc's and share files and whatnot through the router.. sweetness.. thx guys

I agree with using the ISP's modem because I have my own from another ISP provider, its a SPEED STREAM 5667, and my ISP provider knows nothing about it so when every I call to ask a question about something going wrong on their end I have to expain about the Speed Stream which really gets on my nerves because you would think an ISP would have a list of all avaliable modem but they don't.

And for your sake, use a routher.:D

Back