• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good DDR 2700 (333) Review - All the major brands!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Except the memory used was supplied by the mfg's and is probably a much better than average sample.

nick you recomendation your corsair?
or what i can buy?
i have same you system

what is the best ddr i can buy
??
for my epox 8k3a+
and xp unlocked

i would say the Samsung 6ns kind. its only 82$ a stick at newegg
-Malakai

The 6ns Samsung seems to rock consistently- I've tracked forums all over the net and everybody that's bought it is all grins..
check pricewatch too- currently 10 sources @ $70 or under...

Been thinking about some new memory Sticks, thanks for the info!

Lvcoyote

OMG I feel so lucky, I was a little disappointed that I got Samsung instead of Nanya, since it was stated that it was either or for their brand name RAM, but for some reason I was hoping nanya, because there was some people around saying Samsung wasn't that good. Anyway, I've got that EXACT stick, I am extremely happy right now. My XP was a AGKGA "Y" which meant to be fairly good too. Also my motherboard turned out to be a rev 1.1 which has reviewed faster than the rev 1.0 ...... :D :D :D

Mmmmmm 9x200 would be nice, 9x209 nicer, Hmmmm, heatspreader and cooling and long burn in = 225 for PC 450? :D

My gf3 will probably turn out to be a dog :D

Road Warrior

Hi All,

I am doing various of testing with different RAM on my 8k3a+.

With a AMD 2000XP:

* I was able to run 2-2-2-5-1 setting with my Kingmax PC2700 top at 171Mhz (CPU @11x171) and 189Mhz (CPU@10x189) with setting at "normal". CPU voltage was 2.1V and RAM at 3.1V.

After some very aggressive setting to squeeze more fsb, I kind of messed up my HD. I reinstalled the OS and tried again. Strangely, I cannot make the machine boot at 2-2-2-5-1 anymore; even if I tried to run at stock speed of 1.67Mhz (I tried both 10x167 and 12.5x133). I could get it running up to 180Mhz FSB with overclocked CPU but needed to run with less aggressive setting on Ram timing (“faster” mode).

* Because it would hang at the 2nd page of POST procedure, I was kind of suspected that there could be something wrong among 1). CPU, 2). Mobo, or 3). Memory.

Last night, I put in a brand new (rev. 1.02) 8k3a+ with Windbond 6ns chip based TwinMos PC2700 RAM {this very stick just finished test (was the only brand passed with setting at turbo mode) at AMD’s lab at Santa Clara}. CPU was the only thing I didn’t change in my configuration.

I didn’t raise the voltage on either CPU and memory (because this memory is just for me to test and I need to return it later). What I got was 186Mhz setting at “fastest mode”. I was impressed on result of 186 MHZ with “fastest mode” because there was no voltage increase. This did kind of match VR-Zone’s PC2700 comparison review that I read few days ago (they did increse RAM voltage about 0.4 to 0.6V). The Sandra 2002 memory score was 2811 at 186Mhz (it is surprisingly high to me). I kind of like this borrowed TwinMos RAM and hope I dont need to return it next week...:).

* However, it still failed to POST with setting at “turbo”. Very strangely, it wouldn’t POST even at stock 166Mhz while set at “turbo mode”. Just same as before I change mobo and RAM.

Now, this led me to think that something fishy with my unlocked 2000XP. I just got a loaned new 2000XP few hours ago and bought a stick of Samsung PC2700 512MB @$135 before tax(price was better than I thought).

I really want to get my PC to be able to handle "turbo mode" like before. Hopefully, tonight I can nail down what is the cause to stop my machine from running at "turbo mode" If anyone has any suggestion or comment for this, I will really appreciate.

By the way, for RoadWorrior, I do have two 512MB PC2100 nanya based RAM that I used on my ASUS A7V266E system. The max I got was 150Mhz x12.5 (and it became little unstable; 147Mhz or bellow is much safer) with 1900XP. Nanya is very solid on PC2100. Most review on PC2700 are leaning toward either Winbond based or Samsung original memory.

8k3a+
Kingmax PC2700
TwinMos PC2700 (Windbond chip)
Samsung PC2700
CoolerMaster ATC210 modified with 8 fans
Thermalright AX-7 with Delta 80CFM
PC mods rheobus 4 channel fan controller (17W per channel)
digiDoc5 for temp hardware monitoring
2 x IBM ATA 100 HD
Toshiba 16x DVD and Pelixter CD-ROM

MV99

Back