• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercooling maintenance???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jagermorder

Registered
I was wondering what kind of maintenance having a water cooled setup required. Do you need to drain and clean the hoses? block? radiator? pump? I've never tried water cooling, but have been looking into it and was just wondering if there was anything special that needed to be done. Other then blowing the dust out/off of the case, fans, rad, and every other component (gets real dusty here). If there are any other threads detailing this, maybe somebody could point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

Mainly, clean the dust out of your radiator and fans. I change the water in my system around every three months. That's about it. It's easier than fighting the dust bunnies that collect in heat sinks:)

Most will only clean theirs out every 3 to 6 months. Unless it is a bong or something similar. Just make sure to add some Water Wetter to it and you should be ok overall.

One suggestion, everything is different for everyone.... Just keep an eye on the water lines, and if you start to see the color look different, or you see things 'swimming' in there... then that would mean it was time to clean. Other than that Im sure it would be fine.

IFMU

Yea, there's not much that you need to do. People don't even bother cleaning it until something starts producing in their systems. I know that Watter Wetter will prevent that from happening, so just clean it when necessary...

Yodums

I've had mine running 24x7 for over a year and have never cleaned anything except the filter over the fan intake.

Put some erithromycin in the water to prevent bacteria from growing. One pill will be plenty. I picked my pill up from an aquarium shop for $25 cents and broke it open and poured the powder directly into the resevoire. Never have had a problem.

Hey! where does the water go I have to add about a 1/8 cup every 3 or 4 months.And I have no leaks.

RJ said:
Hey! where does the water go I have to add about a 1/8 cup every 3 or 4 months.And I have no leaks.

You must have a very minute leak. Not large enough to be obvious, but large enough to allow warter to evaporate out of the system. I'd suspect your resevoire or fill tube.

AMDGuy said:

You must have a very minute leak. Not large enough to be obvious, but large enough to allow warter to evaporate out of the system. I'd suspect your resevoire or fill tube.

Yeh IT must be coming from the pump cuz I have a closed system no resevoire and there is no signs of water anywhere, not a big deal everything is working great.

what pump are you using, i've heard of the danner mag pumps having a small air leak by the prop, which can easily be fixed with some liquid gasket, or something similar

supra said:
what pump are you using, i've heard of the danner mag pumps having a small air leak by the prop, which can easily be fixed with some liquid gasket, or something similar

Im using the Eheim pump

Back