• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wi-Fi suggestions needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FunkyTechnician

I just ordered a laptop and would like to network it wirelessly with 802.11b with my main rig so I can share my cable connection.

I know that I need to get an WAP/Router. I have done many google searches and have seen so many recommendations but I am not so sure if I can trust the sources so I figured I would ask the community here at oc.com.

I can spend $200-300 total on the router and the card. Any suggestions on what I should or shouldn't consider buying.

BTW, I live in a 4 story townhome and my main system along with the router will be on the 3rd floor. I will use my laptop on the 2nd and 4th floor 95% of the time.

Thanks.

Mark

Last edited:
i'm using a Linksys wireless AP w/ Router + 4 ports Switch for my home network. 2 machines using wireless and is 'bout 20 feet away the router.

and i also have the wireless card in my GF's laptop, so whenever she came over to my house w/ her laptop, she can share my cable modem. it works fine for us.

the only thing u'll need to worry 'bout in the distance between machines and router (Wireless Access Point)! NEVER believe what it said on the box!! 100' range?? yeah right! may be in ur wide open backyard, but sure no indoor w/ walls & ceciling!! u should feel lucky if u can get half of the range from it!! usually, from my experience, 1-3 walls & less than 25' u shouldn't have any problem. anything more than that, u might not able to connect or having trouble!!

the other thing to overcome this is to invest a aftermarket antenna for ur AP!! those little stock 3-4" antenna isn't mean for long range strong singal!! but this would add up the cost too.

let me know if u'll need the info 'bout aftermarket antenna. i'll post it if u like. but they aren't cheap tho! 'bout the price of a wireless card........

good luck!!

Actually, you do not need to buy an AP if you have a computer that runs the majority of the time.

Just get a pair of 802.11b cards, one with a PCI adapter. Stuff the PCI card in your desktop, enable ICS and set the 802.11b card into ad-hoc mode. Set the PCMCIA card in the laptop to ad-hoc and twiddle with the network settings and you should be good to go.

Alternately, you can get cards with an Intersil Prism chipset and convert it to an AP using thier hardware utility.

This is vastly cheaper than buying an AP and works well.

Back