• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Summer system temps!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garfield

Well, yesterday it reached 90+ F outside and we didn't have the air conditioning on. So, I boot up my computer and it's 43C on idle! Then on full load it's 47C!!! This is terrible!? I'm going to have to put in that duct like I planned on. Hopefully soon, worst case senario, I'll have to wait until school is over. It shouldn't be a long project though. So, hopefully in the near future. :(

Don't feel so bad. Mine gave the BSOD and I had to take the system back down to stock voltage and speed to get idle temps back to 42C. I am in the process of setting up a water cooling system:)

Yup summer sux.my idle went from 32 to 35c in this past week and my case temps went up as well.ain't got the money for A/C so i'm ganna have to buy fans galore.

You should make a duct directly to the CPU. You don't have to buy much, depending on what you make it out of. The only thing I'm worried about is cutting my case. Never did that before. I would like to do a watercooling system. How much does that stuff cost? I'm thinking about it, because I would like the quietness of it, too :D

Well water cooling is not all that quiet.The rads need 120mm fans witch can be kinda loud.As for price that depends on weather you want a kit or you want to try to do it all yourself.I would say it can go any ware from 150-300 but 300 is in extream cases and most never come near that.I bought a kit from dangerden cost my 200 and suttin i was very pleased with it,but if you read alot of the posts here you may wanna try to make one from pieces yourself.

Do you think a home-made watercooling system would be hard to make? I'll go check out a couple of threads on the topic. What needs the 120mm's?

It really depends on size but 2 will do just fine....you could also put like 4 (if it fits) but that gets pretty loud so 2 should do just fine(1 on each side)....hope this helps ;)

Spec

my computers in the basement, even with no AC on it's still cool down there. ;)

Garfield- your radiator could use two 120mm fans (on in front pushing air through) and on in back (pulling the air)

*edit- Spec_Ops2087, you beat me to it! :p

Only his 84F here yesterday and I had to turn my Tbird 900 system off! No overclocking at all and it went up to 70C. I took the sides off and it was still 64C! The computer I'm on now is right beside it and its a Duron 750 system. I have a few extra fans in it, so its running at 56C (idle). My room is at the highest point in my house so practically all the heat comes up here :(. Hopefully my water cooling system will be up and ready by next Wednesday.

Snewp0rs- That sucks about your computer :(
You should see if you can get one of those window air conditioners for your room; not only will your computer be cooler, but your room as a whole will be a hell of a lot more comfortable for the summer!

I would if my parents would let me, but we have one of those central air a/c's. Problem with that is that my mom doesn't like the thing! She prefers have the windows open to get "fresh air" in. My dad is taking one of those lil $200 electronic box a/c's. Its about the hieght of a mid-tower pc case. I'm gonna stick that on the side of my t-bird 900 system, so what good that does :).

Be careful to make sure you don't get condensation inside your computer! :eek:

BTW- what watercooler do you have? Is it custom?

The kit is custom, yes, but I don't have it yet. All this stuff is ordered... I'm getting the Maze3 and a Maze2-1 for the water blocks, the pump I'm getting is a Super-Mag 700 (I've heard both good and bad about these so I'm kinda worried), 15ft of silicon tube, and I'm headed into Home Depot and/or Lowes maybe tonight to get some supplies for what I'm think for a resivour. I'm going to make a square out of plexi or arcrylic and get some of that silicon glue. I'm not sure how I'm going to top it off since once I get 3 sides on, it'll be kinda hard to do the 4th piece heh.... So I might hinge that piece and make it like a removable lid type deal. What I have for the radiator is this $25 transmission cooler from Autozone. The guy said it'll do a better job than the heater cores. Well thats what he said anyways haha. Maybe I'll put a neon light behind the res. to give it a glow and look cool :).

I have a Mag Drive 7. Good idea putting it in a Res, it's kinda loud, and it heats up a lot if it isn't cooled (at least when it's used with 3/8" tubing, I'm not sure about 1/2"). For it's price though, it definetly isn't bad.

IMHO I think a copper heater core would be better than the transmission cooler; are they available at autozone?

yeah, the heater cores are avalible at Autozone. Thats what I was looking at first and the guy asked what its for, I told him and expected a wierd look from him, but he's getting into computers now and he thought it was a cool thing to do. But anyways, he said I could return it if I wanted to. What kind of heater core do you have? I was looking at 89 Ford F-150 heater cores and I think an old Tarus.

I have no idea what brand it is =P My dad works at an oil refinery and he was able to get it for me from the autoshop they have there for free. (they have an autoshop cause these refeneries are friggin HUGE, you need a truck just to get to different worksites).

Back