• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

airflow management .... in a sieve.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoadWarrior

Hi guys, got my new case the other day, I couldn't afford anything but the generic "mid tower with AMD approved PSU" so got what turned up basically. Anyway, attached is an image of what it looks like, first view is the inside, second view is the front, third view is my "mad psp skillZ" ;) rendering of the side panel.

You'll notice theres a fan vent and some other venting on the back, also in the side panel, those shaded triangles are full of holes, both sides. But in the front, where I would have liked a fan, is the power button.

Now, I could drill a whole bunch of holes in a ring around the power button, and get a fan in there, but just inside the metal is perforated for a fan, but there's so much junk down there, I doubt I'd get good airflow. Also no matter how careful I am, I can never seem to drill straight, and the holes might end up looking a little ghetto. When I use a drill stand even the bits seem determined to bite on one side and then bend themselves a little to go off target. So I don't really want to do that.

Actually, I prefered a case that another retailer had, that had a perforated front panel, but it turns out that it was exactly the same case internally with a different front, so I would not have been better off anyhow :)

So, what I am thinking now is, that instead of installing the rubber feet that came with the case, that I might find some standard furniture legs and fit those, lifting it say 4 inches, since this will probably go on the floor. Then I could cut a hole or holes in the bottom of the case and fit a fan or two in there. I was thinking it would be cool to get an aircleaner element for a large vehicle, cut a plate out of plexi and just clamp that down bent in an oval or rounded rectangle shape on the bottom of the case over the fans for some good airfiltering.
Anyhow, whatever I do with the intake, there seems to be the problem that this case has too many holes elsewhere, so I wonder if my plans of efficiently routing an airflow path through the case will be thwarted by it just spilling out everywhere and getting sucked in somewhere near the blow out fans.

I could just stick some transparent film or something over the back of the holes in a matching color to the case and backlight it or something I guess, block the holes up.

Anyway, seems a little like a PITA this case, but it might lead to some different and unique arrangements and mods.

Hmmm dunno if I should have put this in cases, but I wanna get peoples opinions about cooling in it, so ...... here it is.

Thanks,

Road Warrior

I've tried sealing off the extra vent holes in my case and also leaving them open, and I honestly don't think it makes very much difference. I figure as long as I have the "general" air pattern doing what I want along with positive case pressure, the vent holes will just help get rid of a little bit more hot air.

See what your temps are first. Then cover up the holes with some clear packing tape so you dont see it. It probably will make a difference. I did it and dropped temps 1C.

You asked for opinions so here goes.
1. The power button in the front center shouldn't be a problem to relocate near the reset & leds. If it is, pick up a normally open momentary switch from Radio Shack and mount it on the rear of the case (a stealth power button?)
2. Cut a hole in the front bezel where the power button was, mount a decorative grill over it. I have a 92mm grill on the front of my bezel with aluminum mesh on the back side of the bezel on my comp and it looks good.
3. Get a dremel or a nibbler and cut out the perforated metal in the front and rear of the case where the fans go (better air flow). On the front, mount a filter with your fan. On the rear, just a grill because it is exhausting.
4. The top of the case behind the power supply (and where you will mount drives) will be a hot spot. The power supply fan won't exhaust the heat from that area very well. Consider a blowhole on top or mount an 80mm fan in the case set to blow into this area to circulate the heat so the rear fan can exhaust it.

My .02.....................

Thanks Kosmic and mike, you know I keep forgetting my new board has temp monitoring, I've been playing around with crappy super 7s so long :D

Thanks Buk, you know I really didn't consider moving the power button before, now I'll have a think about it. For sure I'll be using my nibbler on the grilles, since they don't look all that good for airflow. I am thinking I might not be using the top drivebay for a while, so might see what I can do about venting through that. Would keep the top of the DVD or CDR cool too.

Road Warrior

Back