• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 PC share 1 Net w/ D-link DCM-200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've just checked the manual, and you will not be able to use the USB and RJ45 ports at the same time.

You could buy a cheap router to plug the modem into and share your connection that way, or put a second NIC card in one machine and use ICS or a proxy.

Oh, wait, I still have one question.

I noticed that there's a USB socket for connecting to the PC to access to the Net. Can I use a USB hub to spit it into two and connect it to the 2 PCs with 2 accessing to one internet account?

[(illustration)]

___________________________________________PC1
DCM -200 (from the USB socket)----------USB hub---------|
___________________________________________PC2

A usb hub does not work like that. I splits the usb port so that you can connect more than one device to a usb port by splitting that port. It does not work the other way, by splitting the signal from a device (Your Connection) to other computers.

Buying a router or installing a second NIC/Using USD with ICS or a proxy is the only way to share your connection.

Greetings Luie,

I too have the d-link dcm200, along with that I have the d-link 704 dsl/cable router. This works very well for me. I have 5 pc's on the net and they all can get to the Internet. I would suggest a device as this, they have become affordable, some having rebates. Brands to consider would be D-link, SMC, Netgear, and Linksys.

Good luck

Some cable modems allow you to access the internet using only a switch/hub (mine does). This is cheaper than a router, but your modems manual does not indicate this. Then again, it doesn't indicate that you can use a router either. If you know somebody with an ethernet hub/switch, ask them to bring it over and try. Try using both a straight through and a crossover cable to connect to the uplink port. If it works you can save some money. If it doesn't, your not out. I wouldn't reccomend buying a hub or switch to test it though, you might still end up using a router and just have spent extra money.

Back