• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voodoo5 vs. Geforce4MX 440

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeff_harrison_344

Hello, I have a Voodoo5 right now with a 1.3GHz AMD T Bird. I was thinking about upgrading my video card to a Geforce4 MX440 64mb DDR SGRAM. Now I was wondering how much of a performance increase would I see, If any in the video card upgrade?

about 33% improvement...except in Unreal tourney where the difference wont be noticed (glide :)) and the Image quality will be less i think its definately worht saving up another 20$ or so and getting a geforce3 Ti200...

If you can wait a month, the Ti4200 will be out and you can grab a 64mb version for around $30 more than the MX440.

Depends on what games you play. I just play UT and I love my Voodoo5. I have a Geforce 3 Ti 200 also and well, the V5 has the slot in my main system.

I'd say stay away from the MX line, they lack the vertex/shader thingers that are supposed to make the G3/4 so good :rolleyes:

Like Lou said wait for the gf4 ti4200, its going to be a real bargain and outperform the gf3s.

the gf4mx will only be a tad bit better than the v5.

either wait for the 4200 or get the radeon 8500. its only 150$ and equal to the 4200.

Well I have decided to keep my Voodoo5:D...how do y'all think itll run with a 1.4GHz Athlon XP, MSI K7T TURBO2, 128megs pc-133, 7200RPM HD etc??

jeff_harrison_344 said:
Well I have decided to keep my Voodoo5:D...how do y'all think itll run with a 1.4GHz Athlon XP, MSI K7T TURBO2, 128megs pc-133, 7200RPM HD etc??

i dont think youll see any problems until Unreal2 comes out...you may want some more ram though...

i owned both cards. i currently have the mx460. it us much faster than the voodoo. it scores in the high 4000's and the voodoo 5 was around 1700 if memory serves me correctly. however i found the video quality of the voodoo to be better. currenltly i'm not much of a gamer any more and was more interested in setting up a dual monitor daw that was fast and cheap and the mx fit the bill. also the mx runs AA well. if your're a gamer i'd say keep the voodoo and wait until games that actually use the vertex shaders come out. by then the 3's and even the 4's will be cheaper.

the gf2mx does better in 3dmark, so what? have fun playing 3dmark all day.

in real world performance in agmes, the v5 is on par with the gf2 gts when teamed up with a fast cpu.

yeah, the gf4mx will beat the v5, not by much though.

but why would u get the gf4mx when the 4200 is only 200$ and the 8500 is only 150$?

Back