• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alpha 8045 and Swifty MCX462

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbell

the real xtremesys admin in exile
ok guys you are my experts here..

on these heatsinks - is it better to blow the air onto the heatsink or to suck the air off of it?

For the swiftech its made to blow air in, the Alpha is made to suck air out. But it only takes 30 seconds to switch the fan around so try both and see which works better for you:)

Josh

ok cool thanks...

why the diff though what cuases it - with the difference in air flow???

if not for one why not the other?

The Swifttech blows in...the Alpha blows out...usually. It kinda depends on what your airflow in your computer is like. Sometimes it just depends...like if you have fans on the side of your case blowing over the CPU then blowing away may not be best.

jbell said:
ok guys you are my experts here..

on these heatsinks - is it better to blow the air onto the heatsink or to suck the air off of it?

Heh... you said blow...

All the reviews I've seen say that blowing is better than sucking... (no pun intended on that part):p

jbell said:
ok cool thanks...

why the diff though what cuases it - with the difference in air flow???

if not for one why not the other?

It is all in the design of the heatsink. Alpha has the shroud on top of the heatsink that tends to trap air and impede airflow when you have the fan blowing into the heatsink, so you can also try removing the shroud if you want to try blowing into the heatsink on the Alpha. I have both hsf's and I find that there isn't much difference in performance between the 2, running the same Delta 68 cfm fan on them.

Has anyone ever tried the Aplpha without the shroud on it with the fan blowing? I had tried mine blowing but got a 1c or 2c lower with it sucking amd no fans in side of case. I had never thought of trying without the shroud.

Its all down to airflow, conflicting airflow makes higher temps. Which is why you have to experiment, there is no right.wrong way as every setup will cause difference results.

Also whilst blowing on some Motherboards this can affect the system temp as air is blowing over it. Therefore just concentrate on the CPU temp.

M_N

Back