• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ge4 and 8500, which one got better 2d quality?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tainice

i have postponed my b-day gift, for i could not decide on which card to get. This card will go to my future dual rig, doin' my school work--need a card with good 2d quality as well 3d rendering ability.

Go with the Geforce 4, probally the best bet will be the Ti4200. There is nothing that can touch the Geforce 4's right now.

well you said 2d quality...correct me if I'm wrong but the Radeons are the BEST of the BEST when it comes to 2d...I colors are so much sharper and clearer...but when it comes to 3d then yes the gf4 dominates....so really it is a stalemate....I would say probably go with gf4 ti4200 if you want ALL our speed but if it is quality (which is what I look for) go with the Radeon 8500!

Spec

From the reviews I've read, the GF4 has finally caught up to the Radeon's in 2d quality. So, I'll agree with everyone here. Survey Says GeForce4 Ti4200.

hitman, could me give me a link or two, so i can do more research on ti4200? thanz man.

Thanz ya all btw;)

I'll have to dig them up, but don't worry, I'll post them(ehh if I can find them lol most of them were links from the forum but i think I can find one or two) I'll edit this post when I find them.

Here's the edit

here's one from hardocp though they don't use the 128mb version which is a realy shame.

http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/vidcards/nvidia/gf4ti4200/index.html

Here's a shorter one

http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/vidcards/nvidia/gf4ti42/index.html

Here's one that thankfully includes the 128mb version.

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2002q2/geforce4-ti4200/index.x?pg=1

finally, here's one on GF4's in general

http://www.techtv.com/products/hardware/story/0,23008,3371045,00.html

that should be enough reading for now. If you want/need more, I'm sure I could scrounge up a couple extra.

Last edited:
i would just wait

ATI is working on a new card as i speak

its supposed to be 25% more powerful than gf4 TI4600

Yeah I had a matrox G400max and it was really nice. I totally forgot about matrox until nihili mentioned them. They are really reliable, I had mine for 2 1/2 years without any problems.

Mhypertext said:
i would just wait

No offence but do you have anything valid on this card? All I've heard are rumors. Besides that, the R250 is suppose to come out before the one you're talking about and is suppose to compete with the Ti4200. So it may be some time before we see the R300. I remember this being brought up in about January and many places said, "It will only be a short time before we see ATI's next card" Well, now it's about 4 months later and haven't seen any updates. If you have something valid, I'd really like to see it because I am very interested in the card. Nihili made a good point, you may want to look into Matrox cards as well.

Mhypertext said:
i would just wait

Plus how long do you plan on waiting. If it hasent even been announced yet (officially) figure 6 months. Maybe more.

My point is, there is always something faster coming, but if we all always waiting for something faster wed all be running voodoo1's.

Dual rig is costly, a pair of hdd is not cheap either, not to mention the price of a 500w+ psu, as a result, a somehow tigh budge, 250max, so nothing fancy. I was looking for readeon 8500 64mb version, since i heard so many good thing about them, but again, their drivers suck (from what i have seen, at least). Ge3 200 or 500 is nice, but i am not srue about their 2d quality against ATI.. Matrox? i got one in my box, and they are pretty good looking too, but no thanz, me still got some games to play:D

then I'd definitely reccomend the Ti4200. You could pick up the 64mb version for $150 or less. If you have it, I suggest getting the 128mb version though. It will come in handy when the next generation games come out.

I agree, don't bother to wait if you get a good price. Those Matrox cards are usually cheap and good cards. Heck so are those others mentioned.:D

But then again, my Gf4 kicks booty.:burn:

Last edited:
Back