• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 xp's startup problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harderclock

i had a missing file the other day so i restored it from the cd.the next time i booted up i get a choice to choose from winxp and winxp i looked in windows and found a winxp 0.0 folder and a second temp folder i tried to delete the winxp but it wouldnt let me.i want it gone so i no longer have a choice at start up can anyone help. thanks in advance.

your current XP installation that works is probably the winxp0.0. you can edit boot.ini in the root directory of c: to change what options it gives you and how long until it picks the default.

Ahem... I don't think it's an ideal way, cause man gonna have an extra gig of sh*t on his HDD. I suggest the following:

1) Search somewhere in Constrol Panel/Advanced settings (I don't remember exactly) - there should be an option of backing up system files. Having this optio turned on results in such "clone" folders. If you disable it, the clone must be deleted.

2) If it's not (I can't bet), you can simply check which XP has TEMP files later modified (to identify which one you're currently using), then bare-boot your sys and rename (NOT kill) the other XP folder. In this way, if something goes wrong, you can always bare-boot again and rename it back. If everything's OK, you may just kill the renamed folder in a couple of days.

Hope this helps.

Back