• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Minimum System requirements

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KingB

Just wondering what would be a good distro for an older PII? I have a PII 266, gigabyte mobo (model ?), a S3 8meg vid card (PCI), 30 gig HDD. (Any suggestions on hardware problems you see would aslo be helpful).

I have been trying to install a dual boot RH 7.2/XP setup on my main rig (see sig) without any luck. The RAID has been screwing me up. I really don't know enough tricks to get it installed and I am complete newb to linux (ie: have never used, not even once).

Would one of the newer distros work on the old machine or is there a distro you could recommend for it. I would really like to learn linux and this seems to be a good way to start.

Thanks

Pick what ever you want. Linux will run fine on that. It doesn't become a problem until you're running a 486 with an ISA video card.

Back