• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

an you share dial-up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newhouse_00

Registered
i just got my first network setup today and i was wondering if you can connect to the net on one and use it on the other computer aswell

i only have a 56k modem but i have a hub if that helps thanks

jeff

Last edited:
yea u can. I do it. No need for a hub. Just get a crossover cable to connect the two NICs together and then install a proxy on the computer with the 56K modem. If you need details then please post back or, PM me.

i got the hub and 2 nic and the cat 5 to connect them but u lost me with the proxy think

i have modems on both computers so does that make a difference

what you are going to need to do is this:

comp2 --- comp1 --- internet

comp2 will piggy back on comp1's internet connection.

what you need is either 1) use microsoft built in internet connection sharing (must have 98se or later), or 2) install a proxy and setup the comp2 browser to connect to the proxy (check out your browsers --> advanced -->proxy settings), or 3) install NAT (Network Address Transaltion) software on comp1 which makes comp2 think it has a real internet connection when it actually is going thru comp1.

Microsoft ICS works through NAT too. I think you have to specially select ICS when installing 98SE. I use 2000 to share a connection and it works wonderfully. I found a great site about networking, with a wonderful tut. I'll try and post a link.

btw. make sure the cat 5 cable is a crossover

-Dan

I've just moved and am having a similar problem. I am trying to use ICS with XP Pro and a 56k modem. I installed ICS on the firewall computer and all the clients have the gateway set up on them (visible in network properties). When a client tries to access the internet the modem in the firewall dials, negotiates and connects but then drops out after 30 seconds of inactivity. See what I'm talking about here.

Any ideas?

The cable only gas to be a crossover when you are connecting from Nic to Nic, with a hub you use patch cables the hub does the switching for you, Setting up Ics is pretty easy just make sure that you use the right protocols etc.. and you'll be all set:)

Back