• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Pro networking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RocknBull

Registered
Hello all

i have three comps thru a hub/router with cable.
The truoble i have been having is pulling files from another comp
to one i just formated like music and any thing i want to save i put on another comp then pull it back. I have done the updates for XP and in the last month i would say i have seen the problem
i have all three comp same user name and all is admin

Any one else seen this? I'm thinking of going back to w2k and really dont want to put if it persist, i have no choice

Ok sorry bout lastnight just home from the bar and i might have been a little drunk heh

All three comps or the same username and password, all admin no guest, all hard drives are sharded here are some errors i get when i'm tring to transfer files back to my main comp after i formated it last sunday night.

Cannot copy CHECHP08: Cannot read from the source file or disk

Cannot copy Adobe Photoshop 6: The specified network name is no longer available

i have been getting alot of not responding when i try to look in some sub folders on the other puter this has only started acting up about a month ago

hope this helps and dont worry about yuor english, cuz i am american
and mine sucks:D

I would try running the network setup wizard again. Can you ping the other computers? Can you see the other computers in the workgroup?

I would use three different log on names and PW. Make each one auto log on to a default user. I am networking XP Pro with no problems. I did find the wizzards in my way when I setup the network.

When you install XP and it is not on a domain, it uses basic sharing. Meaning that all users authenicate as GUEST. To disable this and use CLASSIC style sharing edit the local security policy and change the line about sharing to use classic sharing. You will see it.....

Give that a try, and then give admin full control and see what happens.

I have sence gone back to Win2k and Linux. I HATE XP!

engjohn said:
When you install XP and it is not on a domain, it uses basic sharing. Meaning that all users authenicate as GUEST. To disable this and use CLASSIC style sharing edit the local security policy and change the line about sharing to use classic sharing. You will see it.....

Give that a try, and then give admin full control and see what happens.

I have sence gone back to Win2k and Linux. I HATE XP!

Thanks guy for the help but it did not work i think it was one of XP's critical updates that screwed this up i had no problem with this until about a month or two at the most
all hdd are NTFS got me hanging and looking stupid

thanks

How are you getting to the shared resources? Do have folders or drives mapped? Are they added in "my network places" or do you navigate to them by searching through the "entire network"?
If you do any of them but the last one they you may need to "remap" them.

Back