• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what program will lock my computer w/o stopping seti?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

ok we have network log in, seti stops running. So that is a no-no. we have screensaver password, which ya right even the dumbest person can get by that and will slow my crunching down to a halt. so how will i be able to keep my roomamte off my computer w/o stopping applications? also is there a way i can try to stop him from disconnecting off my phone line? i know he can just pull the phone line out but hes not that smart.

i put this in seti becuase i need this to run seti.

For W2K I use ctrl-alt-del and then click Lock Computer, all your programs will still be running while it is locked.

Yeah, I use 2k as well. The Ctrl-Alt-Del > Lock Computer method works rather well. I get tired of my roommate using my computer too, so I just lock it. Every program (downloads, seti, playing mp3's even) will continue, just the UI is locked down.

Win2K and WinNT both have the "lock desktop" feature. I've been using it at work for about four months now, so I know it works without stopping SETI. I had to lock my station because the night-time janitors were using my station to surf the net. My company has since changed janitors, but I still lock it every night.

XP also allows locking.

He could still turn it off and back on again to sign in as his username, but you can tell if the system was shutdown.

its been working perfectly all day, p.s he has no username :) its not HIS computer :). where in win 2k do i see the networking log? or does only xp have it?

Ah well it's cool you kept the computer on to crunch SETI. But I do feel a little sorry for him that he can't access a computer now :( I would just try to tell him to do this his thing and not mess around with other stuff because it is very critical you keep it open. Then follow it up with if you can live by the rules then you lock it.

I would imagine he tried to let him use it, but it wasn't working out, but I could be wrong.

Networking log? What networking log? The available logs are at Control Panel->Adminstrative Tools->Event Viewer .

OMFG!@!@ i got home and he pulled the plug, actually yodums i have never told him, tomorrow i will explain to him my senario (sp?) i will let him use it. that dont count for him to pull my plug. :argue: on a lighter note. the phone line and the internet access i pay for, should i ask him to pay half since he uses my phone and internet? i have never asked him this either. i guess he thinks everything mine is his to use. he even eats my food. ok done ranting. off to seti :) i lost 7 hrs because of him.

Greg M said:
XP also allows locking.

He could still turn it off and back on again to sign in as his username, but you can tell if the system was shutdown.

how do you do this in xp....i cant find it

In a domain environment, you press Ctl+Alt+Del and select 'lock'. As a stand-alone or workgroup, set the screensaver to require a password.

For the last time the system was restarted, check the System log or the Date Modified timestamp of the pagefile.sys.

zangler said:

how do you do this in xp....i cant find it

hit windows key-L to bring up the XP login screen. This will keep any programs you have running, running and require you to re-login to continue using windows. Also you can download some really nice login screens from themexp.org

Back