• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help installing Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SmokingMongoose

Someone just gave me a pretty old computer and decided I wanted to run Win98 on it. After I reformatted, I booted from the cd and everything seemed to be doing fine. It asked me If I wanted to boot from the CD or the Drive and I chose CD. After I chose to boot from CD nothing happens. The CD-Rom spins up but the screen is just black. Anyone know what I can do?

SmokingMongoose said:
Someone just gave me a pretty old computer and decided I wanted to run Win98 on it. After I reformatted, I booted from the cd and everything seemed to be doing fine. It asked me If I wanted to boot from the CD or the Drive and I chose CD. After I chose to boot from CD nothing happens. The CD-Rom spins up but the screen is just black. Anyone know what I can do?

if u are half way through the install and it is restarting and asking you if you want to boot from cd or hard disk pick hard disk

And I'd even suggest

-booting from a floppy
-copying an installation of Win to HDD
-launching it from HDD,

cause it's quite possible that the CD is screwed...

Oni said:
I suggest booting from the floppy w/ CDROM support, and typing d:setup from the command prompt.

That's the way I never suggest. No offense to Oni here, but it's always beneficial to run the Win9x setup from the hard drive. Makes it so you never have to put the CD in every time you change network settings.

Boot from Floppy, with CD support.

Go to C: prompt
type md cabs

go to D:
D:\win98 prompt

type copy *.* C:cabs

After it's done, go to C:\cabs, and type setup

Easier that way.

Agreed, thats the way I always do it. It's faster to install that way, as well as in the future when you need to install new/different hardware, then you always have the cabs right there to install fast and easy without the cd.:)

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!
Someone just gave me a pretty old computer
How old? How much RAM does it have? What is the speed of your CD-ROM? What is the speed of your processor? If these things are slow, you may have to wait 5-10 minutes before the CD loads the drivers...I have waited up to 10 minutes on some of my older ones, with 8MB RAM and a 2x CD-ROM...

Back