• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the Retail fan OK for NORMAL xp1800 use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clean_Baldy

I dont want to spend an extra $25 on an extra heatsink, and the one that comes with the XP seems OK. The question is, if I don't overclock... will the retail fan be OK? I know they're crap!!!!

But, I am under a very very tight budget, and for only $8 more, I can get the retail XP 1800+

Should I go for it?

Sooner or later, I will be getting the AX-7 :) But for now, will it be OK?

should be fine. Check your temp. You might want to put arctic silver and lap the heatsink if you don't like the thermal rubber original on the retail heatsink.

I am really cheap also right now, and I still have the stock fan on mine while overclocking my 1700+. It gets to about 47c on load, so it isn't as bad as I would have thought. But on the other hand, when I get the chance for a new one, then I will get one.

But in your case, go for the proc. that is 8 bucks cheaper and get a better fan with those 8 bucks.

If you won't overclock don't bother buying a heatsink. The retail should be fine, just use good thermal compound (AS2 or 3), and lap it to be sure. Don't buy the 6cu because it doesn't do much of a job.

Eventually you should move on to better things the 6cu is just a waste. I don't like mine.

Hey everyone! Well, I'm almost ready to order my new system! I'm getting so excited :) All of it from Newegg.com.

ANTEC Performance PLUS Model PLUS880- with Antec Original TRUE P4 Power Supply 430Watt -$121

EPOX 8K3A+ KT333CE DDR333 266MHz FSB ATA133 RAID Socket A MOTHERBOARD - RETAIL -$110

AMD ATHLON XP 1900+/266 FSB PROCESSOR CPU - OEM -$136

Thermaltake VOLCANO 6Cu. Heatsink + Dual Ball-Bearing Fan, FAN Speed: 4550±10% RPM. Max. Air Flow: 32CFM. Pure Copper bas -$11

MUSHKIN DDR 256MB PC-3000 - OEM -$88

VGA LEADTEK|GF4 TI4400 128M TV RTLWinfast A250 TD -$245

All for a grand total of: $754.19 after shipping!!!

Nice system Clean, you'll have one hardcore gaming box there when thats all put together, TI4400 good choice. Trade ya my watercooled XP2000+ system for all that:)

Josh

Clean_Baldy said:
Hey everyone! Well, I'm almost ready to order my new system! I'm getting so excited :) All of it from Newegg.com.

ANTEC Performance PLUS Model PLUS880- with Antec Original TRUE P4 Power Supply 430Watt -$121

EPOX 8K3A+ KT333CE DDR333 266MHz FSB ATA133 RAID Socket A MOTHERBOARD - RETAIL -$110

AMD ATHLON XP 1900+/266 FSB PROCESSOR CPU - OEM -$136

Thermaltake VOLCANO 6Cu. Heatsink + Dual Ball-Bearing Fan, FAN Speed: 4550±10% RPM. Max. Air Flow: 32CFM. Pure Copper bas -$11

VGA LEADTEK|GF4 TI4400 128M TV RTLWinfast A250 TD -$245

All for a grand total of: $754.19 after shipping!!!

If you haven't yet, I would recommend the Radeon 8500 over the nVidia. So what if it's faster, games aren't even utilizing. ATI has amazing quality.

Also, get some case fans, and see if Newegg has a better cooler. If not head to heatsinkfactory.com and order an AX7 or something!

Yodums said:

If you haven't yet, I would recommend the Radeon 8500 over the nVidia. So what if it's faster, games aren't even utilizing. ATI has amazing quality.

Also, get some case fans, and see if Newegg has a better cooler. If not head to heatsinkfactory.com and order an AX7 or something!

In the future, I will get the AX7 or similar. Its just that $750 was the figure I wanted to spend! I got pretty damn close.

As for the Radeon, never!!! NVidia or bust :) I've always hated ATI ever since my friends and mine all were crap way back when .... plus, its a GF4 Ti4400! Just has a nice ring to it :)

The only thing I'm not sure about is the case. Its the one I want, except that it doesnt have a diskette slot built in... I like that :) It's too bad that they dont have one like that with a 430w PSU thats in stock :( So, I guess I'll just roll with the punch and get this one :)

You have alot of smiles in your post. :D - So much I can't even include your quote in my post!

Your comparing ATI's technology back then to now. You should see a Radeon at a store or something, it is amazing quality. You'll be drooling all over it damaging it... sparking it... killing it :D JK

Yodums

when it comes to video cards i'd rather have an nvidia too:

1) 128 will have a longer life, especially since they aren't utilizing it all yet
2) nvidia has better support for linux than ATI
3) bragging rights too :p i can't wait for my GF4 Ti4400

jeff

DONT get a ATI. Nvidias while more expensive, has much better driver support and in my opinion are better all around cards...

you have a KILLER rig. if i were you i would save up some extra $$$ and get a AX7 or a SK6. You would be able to overclock a lot seeing how you have a great mobo, ram, and psu.

I would recommend getting a better heatsink...I'm running the stock heatsink that came with my 1800+ on my Duron 750, at the moment, and my idle temp is around 40 C. Especially since summer is coming...if you start experiencing crashes, I would say go find a copper HSF. :p

I'd shop for a cheaper power supply and put the savings into a decent heat sink. What's a $121.00 ps going to do that a respectable $80.00 one can't do anyway?

Clean_Baldy said:

from what I read, the epox 8k3a+ [currently what I have] is limited to using only pc2700 [I have samsung 512mb pc2700 from googlegear.com]

PC3000 will still work, it just won't run at PC3000, it will be run at PC2700. But, it won't have the bottleneck like the PC2700. All memory is named for what it is rated.

Say you used PC133 in a PC100 machine. You might be able to overclock it more, since it will read as PC100, but is PC133.

Back