• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

changing mobos a pain

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jumper

Registered
I have an FIC AD11 that won't support the athlon xp:( ! I'm thinking of replacing it w/the EPoX8kha+. Does tht create havoc with your os and hard drive? Thanks,
Jumper

while it may be possible to switch motherboards without reinstalling your OS, I would advise against it. That is just asking for trouble. If you spend the initial time to reinstall your OS and apps, (approximately 4-6 hr.) you'll end up saving time in the long run.

I have (out of shear laziness) changed out mobo's with no probs..........but I wouldn't recommend it. You usually have enough minor probs just with a new mobo much less adding to it :)
It is a pain, but you'll be happier with the new system with a fresh install of everything.

Sometimes problems from the old one will carry over to the new one. My now-dead Iwill messed up the sound in DirectX on my machine. I did a clean install on the other hard drive and haven't had any problems.

lol, now that I think of it,, the HDD in my 8K3A+ is such a ****. First it was in an Asus TUV4X, then I put it in an MSI K7T266 Pro 2, then it went in an Asus A7V266-E, then back to the MSI, and now in the 8K3A+,,, but I don't seem to have any problems at all :p

im going from an msi k7t 266 pro r, to the 8k3a+, should i format, i just did like 2 months ago, and its really a pain, cause i have a 40 gb drive (main one) and a 20 gb back up...and about 15 gigs of the 40 gb drive are music, and car videos and stuff like that, and i dont have anywhere to store it....what should i do

I agree with the above posts and would recommend a fresh install.

Although you can successfully make the switch, by the time you're done screwing around with the new set-up you'll have everything corrupted anyhow.

Another to keep in mind is that the AD11 uses the AMD760 chipset whereas the Epox uses VIA KT266A, leading to more potential headaches. I have both of these boards and have made the same switch myself, final outcome.....re-format and reload.

Once you get into the overclocking features of the Epox (200MHz FSB!) you'll be impressed, there's no comparison between these two.

Good Luck!

RangerJoe said:
should i uninstall the via 4 in 1 drivers? or they apply to all via chipsets?

I would go into "Device Manager" and remove ALL of the drivers, video card, sound card, NIC / modem etc. Once you've completed the swap, the O-S should recognize the hardware as new and should prompt you to install the appropriate drivers for each device.

There will be some additional chipset drivers required for the Epox because the FIC AD11 uses the AMD 760 chipset for the northbridge whereas the 8KHA+ uses the VIA KT266A. Use the setup CD that comes with the Epox and install these drivers first.

It can be done, but most end up re-installing the O-S.

Good Luck!

Back