• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipset Cooling ????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thugs_2

Registered
Hi I have a quesiton about cooling my chipset on my board, which is an Abit TH7II-Raid Socket 478 With a PIV 2.0ghz.

Now I have'nt donw any overclocking yet but i plan too soon :)

Now my question was this i recently purchased a Blueorb chipset cooler. After i bought it I found out it was made for VGA Chipsets rather then Motherboard Chipsets :( but it seems to be a powerful little thing.

The only thing is with its dimensions i would have to use the thermal tape rather then thermal grease :( If you want you can check out the specs on this fan on this link. it says it moves 15cfpm :eek:

http://www.thermaltake.com/products/chipset/tgf020.htm

I was just wondering if any of you could answer this question cause i just dont want to do it if its not going to work.

Well I cant be 100% sure, but I know for some Via boards you can cut the mounting holes on the Blue Orb into slots so you have more room and then use screws to hold it down. I would not take off yor present chipset cooler if you are planning on mounting the blue orb with frag tape, that stuff is horrible.

Josh

Blorb

A blorb will be better than the stock cooler on the NB. To put it on though, I'd remove the spring clips first. Make sure no capacitors are in the way, and clip off a couple of the Blorb's fins if necessary. Then sand down the base so its flat and smooth. Then I'd dab a thin layer of Arctic Alumina or Arctic Silver on the NB. If you have the adhesive versions of these pastes, that'd be best. If you don't then leave two opposite corners free of thermal goop, and put a drop of super-glue on those bare corners. Then plop the blorb on there and press her down firmly until the adhesive/glue sets.

Don't overdo it on the thermal paste. You wouldn't want it to leak out the sides and get on the motherboard.

Also, be careful removing the stock sink... it can be kinda hard if the manufacturer glued it on.

Keep posting if you have any trouble.

Re: Blorb

Arkaine23 said:
A blorb will be better than the stock cooler on the NB. To put it on though, I'd remove the spring clips first. Make sure no capacitors are in the way, and clip off a couple of the Blorb's fins if necessary. Then sand down the base so its flat and smooth. Then I'd dab a thin layer of Arctic Alumina or Arctic Silver on the NB. If you have the adhesive versions of these pastes, that'd be best. If you don't then leave two opposite corners free of thermal goop, and put a drop of super-glue on those bare corners. Then plop the blorb on there and press her down firmly until the adhesive/glue sets.

Don't overdo it on the thermal paste. You wouldn't want it to leak out the sides and get on the motherboard.

Also, be careful removing the stock sink... it can be kinda hard if the manufacturer glued it on.

Keep posting if you have any trouble.

it is quicker and easier to bend the fins away with a flat headed screw driver by moving it backwards and forwards to bend them away.

Completed with some worries

Ok I mounted the fan using some Arctic Silver and 2 drops of Super glue on 2 corners of the chipset. It was a difficult task more then i expected.

It fell of 3 times before it finally stuck for good, I have my beliefs that it might not be sitting flush do to some excess Super glue when it came off but i dare not check, It might fall off again

Also is it safe if i decided to take off the heat sync to go ahead and scrap off the excess superglue and redo my job? it just looked sensetive to mee with those flouecent colors and all i dared not do it.

As you can tell im a newbie at this ill overclock tonight im going to update bios and do that ill let you know what happens ps this is the pic of what it looks like now.

Back