• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI AiW 8500DV & PIII 866

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zeke009

I am seriously looking to purchase this card for a new machine I am going to build and I was wondering if the following specs will be sufficient for doing video capture and making good use of the features of All in Wonder 8500DV.

2nd machine:
CPU: PIII 866
Mobo: ASUS CUSL2-C
RAM: 512MB PC133
HD: 10GB laying around, this will probably have to go.
CD: probably the 6x DVD from my current machine.

Any thoughts? I really hate to put the AiW in my main rig since that is my gaming rig.

ATI All In Wonder 8500DV:
http://www.ati.com/products/pc/aiwradeon8500dv/index.html

Current Price:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=529801/blsrt=1/ut=0c21a40d9aa896b2/

I've done lots of video capture (mainly DV) on my P4 1.3 Ghz system and it hastnt dropped a frame yet but encoding can take a while (sometimes like 6-8 hours for a 20 min vid). that proc may be a little slow, 512 MB of ram is pretty good (you could have 3 gigs and the video editing still wants more) but its only PC133. if you overclock that system up to 1Ghz or so I think you would be good to go.

get a new hard drive thats for sure, 10 gigs is nothing for vid editing. if you are doing mini DV (from a digital camcorder) then 4 gigs = 20 min of tape, so you have the original on your HD... then once you edit it you have a second (nearly) 4 gig file, leaving only 2 gigs on your HD and if you're running win XP it takes up 1.5 gigs. then all you have is 500mb and thats not really even enough for a page file (virtual ram). get an ata 100 or 133 HD with at least 20 gigs, though i would reccomend 40 or more.

make sure you are gonna be running win 2000/xp with ntfs file system cause on win 98/me the FAT32 file system only allows for 4 gig files, so it's a pain if you have an hour long tape... u have to cut it into 3 files.

I just got the AIW today and in gaming its framerate is good but its a little jerky. BTW ATI just released a 128MB version of that card so the old 64 meg card just dropped in price.

Back