• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hoses

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
Ive been looking around for hoses for my watercooling project. The available stuff here are clear hoses that the sales people have no clue what they are made of & some polyethelyne hose that's looks like silicone,same color & very flexible, but vinyl is polyethelyne. What do you guys think:beer:

Try McMaster Carr here and check out their silicone rubber tubes. They are very good for water cooling (no smell, and highly chemical resistant). Prices aren't bad either and their overnight delivery is very cheap.

Also check out the Tygon tubing on that page. It can be clear like vinyl, but its a lot softer, doesn't kink easily, or bend like vinyl. And the consensus that I have seen so far is that its better than silicone too. They say it does not absorb anything like silicon does, and of course it can be clear. Mcmaster probably sells it. Check out more at this thread at procooling: here

I forgot to tell you guys that I don't live in the US. International shipping will be more expensive for than the hose so I just have to make do with what I have locally. Thanks anyways.

The Polyethelyne hoses around here are made by Rehau. They make it sound nice too "Manufactured from RAU-VPE(PE-Xa), cross-linked high-density polyethelyne with peroxide". It's suppose to be able to withstand a constant 10bar/147PSI @ 70°C for 50years & it's about $3.60USD. HA! I bet that sold a lot:D

He just said that he lives in Israel, so ordering from US is not cost effective for him.

I wish people would read a thread more carefully before replying. I'm not trying to pick on you b8ng8, but if you want to help others (and that's why we're all here, including you), you should read the whole thread first.

azhari said:
He just said that he lives in Israel, so ordering from US is not cost effective for him.

I wish people would read a thread more carefully before replying. I'm not trying to pick on you b8ng8, but if you want to help others (and that's why we're all here, including you), you should read the whole thread first.
I never said I was from Israel. I do appreciate however your pointing out my location being a major consideration in looking for the proper material or a suitable replacement. Thanks:beer:

Has anyone had any sort of experience with the material I mentioned above?

My bad :eek:

Here are some things you may want to consider when buying hoses for water cooling:

1) Pressure tolerance: you already did this and sounds like you won't have a problem with it.

2) Chemical resistance: since you will need to put a little bit of water wetter or similar substance to kill bacteria or prevent freezing (in case you put a TEC on there also), you need to see if the hose is chemically resistant. Some hoses are for water only and will actually start to dissolve in chemicals. This can lead to leaks, buildup inside the pump and water block.

3) Temperature tolerance: this is usually not a problem since the water doesn't get above 50 F. But should make sure anyways.

4) Flexibility: if the hose is too rigid, bending it around inside your case can be a problem. It may actually put so much pressure on the water block that it may lose contact with the cpu.

5) Smell: the reason i suggested silicone tubing is that it has no smell. Some rubber tubing have a nasty smell that can start to bug you.

Hope this helps. You can probably call the place and ask them these questions.

Thanks for the tips:D

1. Yup I did checkout the pressure tolerance & 10 bar should be enough, a maze3 block is only tested until 8 bar I think

2. They are better than your typical "chemical" hoses so any form of surfactant shouldnt damage it. No subzero specs though

3. Failure due to heat is rated at 120°C

4. It refuses to kink/fold when I rolled it up in a tight circle like around a 3inch pipe

5. The larger hoses are used for drinking water lines so I would expect it not to smell.

I got one of their sales ladies to give me a product demo in my area & I have one of the catalogs at home with all of the relevant info. I should be safe with this then. Now if it were only clear.........

Looks like you've done your homework already.

Is it really that important for the hoses to be clear? If you use a reservoir then you can be sure of getting the bubbles out of the system. Plus, if the water starts getting nasty you can see it in the reservoir. I made my own and it was relatively easy. If you want to know how i made it then pm me and i'll be happy to help.

If the tubing's not clear, can you get some plastic dye to make them whatever color you want? That would be much more origional (and probably safer) than trying to change the color of the water.

Just a thought.

azhari said:
Looks like you've done your homework already.

Is it really that important for the hoses to be clear? If you use a reservoir then you can be sure of getting the bubbles out of the system. Plus, if the water starts getting nasty you can see it in the reservoir. I made my own and it was relatively easy. If you want to know how i made it then pm me and i'll be happy to help.
More of a aesthetic thing really nothing more. I will not be using a res but some sort of air trap/burp contraption.
Diggrr said:
If the tubing's not clear, can you get some plastic dye to make them whatever color you want? That would be much more origional (and probably safer) than trying to change the color of the water.

Just a thought.
Great idea! I just hope the dye will get thru the protective coating they have on it.

Back