• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 8k3a+ and its Temps!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clean_Baldy

OK... this is rediculous...

MBM5 is reading my CPU as 127C!

At idle, when I turn my computer on, or reboot, it shows it at near 58C.....

I get automatic shutdown from the BIOS when I set it.

DId I set something up wrong here? This is my first computer build with a temperature reading, and have never dealt with them before

But, if I'm going to overclock this sucker, i need to know when its gonna become a new keychain

Melted CPUs makes for bad keychains. For now, don't even think about overclocking that.

I would suggest checking your HSF seating. Possibly it is at an angle and touching only part of the core. What HSF are you using by the way?

If that's looking okay, you might want to remove the chip and check out the thermistor under the core. Maybe it is too high and is touching the bottom of the chip. As far as I know, it isn't supposed to.

You might need to flash to the latest BIOS, though your temps are rather extreme, even for the 58C.

I can't think of anything else.

Good luck!
F

I'm using an AX-7 Lapped.... maybe i'll relap it and reattach it. All seemed great and mirrored though, so I don't see the point really... but hey, who knows. It might also be that thermistor thingy :)

If I knew what the thermistor looked like and where it was supposed to be, I'd try fixing it :)

Everything seems to be seated well.

Give me some advice on what I'm looking for under the chip and where its supposed to be exactly

Normally it is this little shiny nob of a thing right smack in the middle of the socket. It isn't supposed to be too high as that means it touches the bottom of the chip, which it isn't supposed to do.

Also, since you are mirror finished, I hope you're not putting too much ASIII. This could cause insulation rather than heat conduction. Remember that with very flat surfaces (i.e. lapped) ASIII should be very very very very thin.

Also, have you flashed your bios to the newer one?

Cheers,
F

I took off the CPU and pushed the thermistor down a little... now MBM reads it fine :) Good advice there.

I'm still getting 52 idle, 55 load.

I dont think I used too much ASIII... I put some on the heatsink, and wiped it all off. Just to fill in the microspaces with whatever is left. Then I put a thin layer on the CPU core.

Maybe later, if I have time, I'll take it off, and wipe a little off with a plastic glove, and see if that helps or not :)

You guys are the best.

Well, I was wrong about my voltages....

It's more or less 52/53 Idle and 57/58 Load.

Hopefully those aren't that bad.

Suggestions?

Though someone will tell you they run theirs at god knows what, the temps are too high, expecially if oc'ing. If it is stock then it may servive. Typically this is the temp range.

40 to 45 = good
45 to 50 = look into better cooling
50 and up = not on my computer

Of course during some extreme testing the temp may break into (and well into) the 50's but I do not run it at those temps "normally". Hope that helps some.

its just the sensor the readings are totaly off.
just do yourself a favor and get a cheep compunurse display screen. if you dont want cheep get a digital doc5.
i been having a prob like that aswell different board but you try picking different senors you mihgt have like a northbridge sensor that is screwed up

With that cheap sensor (I know which one you're talking about) is there any way to get it to read off of MBM? or, will it only be a front viewed digital readout?

I definitely feel that it has to be the sensor... cause yesterday, load was at 59 and 54 idle.

Today, its sitting at around 46 idle, and 51 load.

Stupid thing.... its brand new!

do you have the right diode selected for the cpu on mbm?winbound 2 p2 diode is the diode i use to get the cpu temp and i never had a problem with that one. hope that helps

Back