• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling plates - how effective?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Welcome To The Forums!!!!!

.....and to the addiction:eek:

Cold Plates are used in peltier setups not like how it is mentioned in the page you linked to. This is a waste of money;

CP-480.gif

DUH!!!

The CP-480 Cooling Plate is designed for easy mount with maximum performance and scalability. The concept is simple, no fans. The plates dissipate heat into thin air... literally. They are also, by far, the most cost effective as well. Each plate is 4" x 10" x 1/4" (H x L x W).
Not really a waste since you can find some other use for it in other projects.

Have a good read about PELTIER BASICS & COLD PLATES. Don't forget to click on the first 2 links above:cool:

Thanks for the big welcome!

Hmmm... ok, so it probably should be called a radiator. You say it's a waste of money, but there was a previous article using a similar design:

http://www.overclockers.com/tips857/

So if I use enough of these "cooling plates" shouldn't I be able to keep the water near ambient temperatures?

That would probably depend on what i'm cooling so i'll list them out:
Athlon 1.4 GHz
motherboard chipset (AMD 761)
seagate X15 hard drive (i'm going to seal this with a water block inside to reduce noise)
possibly the GF4, but i don't know how hot that gets yet. I found a nice waterblock for it here: https://www.overclockershideout.com...e_Code=o&Product_Code=VASG&Category_Code=VCWC

Actually... the more i think about it, the less likely it seems that those "cooling plates" are going to cut it.

i'm also thinking of getting a nice eheim pump everyone keeps mentioning. My current Danner MAG pump isn't shielded at all, and i have to keep my computer several feet away from my desk... How well is the Eheim shielded?

I'll probably submerge it in the reservoir to reduce noise from the pump, even though it may raise the water temps a bit.

That's enough questions for now, i guess.
Thanks in advance

1) Welcome.

2) I think that thing is designed as a replacement for a radiator, not for what we think of as a 'cold-plate' in a pelt set-up. I wonder how well it would dissipate heat if bonded to the inside of an aluminum case...urge to buy rising. :)

Plus those plates are relatively small...4" x 10" you could fit at least a few onto a case side, solder some copper plate fins onto them too...hmmm....

Last edited:
Another mistake of mine:eek: I thought you meant COLD PLATE:eh?: That's why most of the links were about peltiers & cold plates BUT I did say you could use them for a different project:D

For a rad? Maybe if you didnt want to use a fan to keep silent, maybe 50 plates & if ambient temps were cool enough I'm guessing you can get away with it.

Ehiem pumps I have seen often mounted inside the case on a lot of systems inline & also in a res. companies like Swiftech also have them mounted inside so maybe there really isnt an issue with them in terms of shielding.

PS It's the heat I tell you, that's why I'm making a ton of mistakes, it's so hot in my area that you can fry an egg in the shade:eek:

Back