• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! How can I mod THIS CASE? -HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord_Zoltan

This is a DELL case and i have no clue wat i can mod on it.
I dont even know where ican add fans.
and wat about hte fansy windowz and grills and neon lights.
ALL HELP PLZ

its easier if i give you a link.. Please check out the link to see pictures of my computer (saves room for the forms ;) )
To See my Computer click on this link

Ok Cool plz someon help

All I get from that link is this.....

Temporarily Unavailable
The Tripod site you are trying to reach has been temporarily suspended due to excessive bandwidth consumption.

Are you the owner of this site?

To check your daily bandwidth usage, click here.
To obtain a higher bandwidth limit, click here.

generally there's not much you can do with Dell cases =)

they're usually designed to be "easy to open" but end up breaking because they're mostly plastic.

so, if you want to cut plastcic with your dremel then have at it =)

if you're REALLY after modding it... the only things I can think of would be the basics because they'd be easier (windows, laser-cut fan grills)

First thing you REALLY need to reduce the size of those pics...., thats why your bandwidth was exceeded.

Maybe you could changed the LED's in the front of the case with some nice blue ones?

other than that,.... not really much you can do to that case... maybe a window, I dunno.

windowing that case is a bad idea... my family's computer has that exact case and i've had to work inside it many-a-time.

the duct from the heatsink to the outside of the case would be in the way (i'm assuming that's the area you'd want to show off with a window =) and that bar over the video card is in the way too (I pulled it off... still runs fine)

but for the most part this case could really only be changed with perhaps a fan w/ laser-cut grills... and that's only if you want to cut through plastic and a little bit of metal

dude....

easiest way to mod the case......

buy a new one and start with the basics.. :)

generic cases tend to look really 'nice' in standard trim... but try moddin one an your up poo creak without your paddle.. :)

If i had the money i would maybe co nsider buying a new case, But in this case no way i love that case, to bad i cant do sh!@ with it :(

Still if anyone cancome up with any ideas plz help me out
thanks

:burn: :eek: :burn:

How about grabbing a roll of duct tape, and taping a bunch of rusty nails and razor blades to it. You could call it "Dell-Bomb"

well for starters i would replace the stock HSF with a high performance one. than i would put a 92mm fan where the duct goes. a window in the side. a cold cathode some leds a paint job and definitly get rid of the Dull logo

HAHA that duct has a 92mill..yaaaa!
LOL
for the rest.. Window to hard its plastic and then weird metal.
But ok.. anything else ?

a sledgehammer....

yes, a sledgehammer would do nicely, smash that dell up good.....

oh you wanted to USE the case? i'm wanting to smash my fiancee's compaq mini. it just gives me these dirty looks whenever i put something new in it.....it deserves to be smashed......:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

OEM cases are allways being @ssholes.....
honestly man, if u dont wanna ditch the plastic dull case, than there isnt a whole lot u can do, but i second the hammer idea.

hitting stuff with hammers rules:D

-Malakai

or you could do what a friend and i did when i lived down in san diego. we went down to mexico and bought some low grade dynamite. we put about 15 sticks of it (each was about twice as strong as your above avg "blow **** up" fireworks). got it lit up and ran like sonsofbitches. every blow up a soda can with an m-80? imagine a mid-tower as the soda can ^_^:burn:

Zoltan, first off, I would pull that bar that runs across your video card like Is907 said. That's only there for "structural support", and unless you're using your computer as a load-bearing structure, I think you'll be alright without it. Here are a few ideas you might consider:

1) Get rid of that ugly, green duct. Cut a hole in your case where the processor is and install a cylindrical duct in the side of the case. A few well placed leds can make a fan duct look kick-*ss!

2) Backlight the gray panel in the front of your case with a lazer led. This provides a pretty sweet effect as the light creeps out from the front intake. (I would put the leds behind the Dell logo and point them down)

3) Install a window in the side. Note: If you do this, there's a few things you need to consider. Your case is plastic, therefore, you'll have to use a smaller window to avoid sacrificing too much stability in the side panel. Also, there is a thin, metal sheet on the inside of the panel. With a little creative problem-solving, this shouldn't be a problem. I would cut the metal out larger than the hole you will need for your window, then secure it somehow (electrical tape) so that it doesn't vibrate. Finally, to cut the plastic, use a Dremel with a cutting disk and make sure to take your time. Keep the Dremel speed low so that you don't melt the plastic.

4) It almost goes without saying anymore, but if you are going to install a window, cold cathodes are a must-have, but if you want some other lighting effect (strobes, leds, etc) go for it!

5) Rounded IDE cables. Much cooler than ribbon cables!

These are just a few ideas to get you thinking. If you don't like any of these ideas, you could always put a tie and slacks on your computer and start calling it "Dellbert". I guess that's a mod?! I recommend looking through the mod gallery here and trying to find other things that you might like to try. Good luck, and keep us posted. :beer:

PS - Unless you're a Dell Certified Technician, the second you start pulling things apart you void your warranty........just making sure you were aware..........

Back