• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you change the stacks setting in the config.sys file.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sim

I get the following message when booting up 98 on my laptop-

An internal stack overflow has occured. Change the stacks setting in the config.sys file.

I went into the config.sys file and opened it with notepad and all it said was rem=winserver or something like that, nothing about stacks. The laptop boots fine into 98 without the port replicatoer which has the cdrom. And with the port replicator it boots into safe mode. The laptop itself doesn't have a floppy or a cdrom.

Here are the spec's and I know I probably shouldnt have 98 on this put I'd like to:

pentium 133mhz
48mb ram
4.3gb HDD

Thanks in advance

try this: one or the other may work:

add to your config. sys file

STACKS=0,0

or

STACKS=9,256

No luck on that either
but here's something interesting,with the port replicator on and the cdrom removed from the port replicator it boots fine.

Oooooo... A chance to use my knowledge of DOS!!

The stacks command sets the number of devices (I think... my DOS book is gone) that can access the system at once. When you run out of space, the system will freeze or give an error. To remedy the problem, you need to increase either the first or second number.

The first number in the stacks command increases the number of devices, and the second increases the memory alocated per device on the stack. Try increasing the first number on the STACKS command as that is what you are probably running out of. Keep the second number at 256.

JigPu -- Who can't seem to find his DOS book...

What are you talking about, first and second number of what?

In the config.sys file that only thing about stacks is a line I put in there in the following format:

STACKS=XXXXX

Back