• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volcano 7+ and EPOX 4BDA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juzan

I just bought a P4 1.6a & OC it stably to 2 Ghz. The reasons is mainly due to heat. My idle temp is 48C & load temp is 53.
I can run it rock solid at 16x133 but the load temp is 58+C & 16x166 will reach 70+C no stable.

I'm planning to buy Volcano 7+ since the ratings is so good and build an air duct directly to processor. But I read a few threads here that this hsf cannot fit to some 478 mobos bracket.

I saw this hsf at a store near by, but wondering if it will fit with my mobo.

Which Mobo you have??? Have a volcano 7+ on my 1.6A with the Soyo Fire Dragon... Temps are still about 48C under load.. I understand these are supposed to run cool but 48 still seems awefully hot, but you are talking 70C+!! Be careful not to cook that CPU and/or board.. What are you running for case cooling???

The Volcano 7 Plus is an excellent heatsink

Matter of fact I have a Volcano 7 Plus on my Epox 4Bda2+ as I write this, and my temps with this hsf dont exceed 47*C at full load.

My cat stole a plastic nut for my watercooling rig and the Volcano 7 plus is my back up. (actually I have a replacment nut but I am pretty happy with this heatsink)

(PS Jeep) I just got rid of my Soyo P4s dragon and I dont trust the temp monitoring on that mobo, It was way off by 5*c as I tested the temps on three seperate boards.)

My mobo is Epox 4BDA2+. When I overclocked the CPU to 2.8 Ghz I only used 1.70v but after seeing 70+C I immediately shut it down.
I use standard air cooling, 1 80mm panaflo on front intake, 2 at the back + PSU fan.
Damn, when this cpu is running at default clock my temp is still 50C. I got the impression this baby is suppose to be very cool before I bought it. :mad:

Did u guys overclocked it? How high, the clock , vcore & temp with Volcano 7+?

Welcome to the forums.

See my sig for answers to your last post.

You may have to rotate the HSF 180 degrees to get full heatspreader contact. I know I did. Do a search for 'volcano 7+' using the search feature at the upper right, and you will find a thread started by me. REad it to see if it helps.

I had a Volcano 7+ to go with my 4BDA2+ a couple of weeks ago, but since replaced it with the stock cooler (with much better temps) and am now looking for a better solution. Here's why.

The bottoms of the metal brackets that were screwed into the sides of the Volcano 7+ actually fell below the level of the heatsink when screwed in. It was totally bad engineering on their part. When I took the Volcano 7+ off the mount after a couple days of running at 45+ degree temps under no load, I found that only the tiniest bit of heatsink was touching the Arctic Silver 3 thermal paste, and therefore, provided almost no good cooling. The only problem was those brackets, but short of shaving the bottoms off to make them at least level with the bottom of the heatsink, it wouldn't work. Threw the stock cooler on and now I'm around 40-45 degrees at full load.

Probably will get an Alpha... though I'm open to suggestions... don't want a TON of noise.

-=Applebrown

Alot of us with P4's had problems that were unrelolved with the heatsink not seating right. I would stay away. I know Sam loves it, and I am not dissing him. I just try to stay away from know incomatability problems. Worse off Thermaltake did nothing to help me and several others and totally dismissed this issue.

Go with the Thermalright AX478, I am sure Sam will agree with me on this one. It is a better heatsink, well designed and can not be outperformed to date. You can pick one up at KD computers for 25 and can use any 80mm fan on top. I recomend a Delta 80CFM with a rheostat, but any good 80mm fan will sufice.

rlemieux said:
Alot of us with P4's had problems that were unrelolved with the heatsink not seating right. I would stay away. I know Sam loves it, and I am not dissing him. I just try to stay away from know incomatability problems. Worse off Thermaltake did nothing to help me and several others and totally dismissed this issue.

Go with the Thermalright AX478, I am sure Sam will agree with me on this one. It is a better heatsink, well designed and can not be outperformed to date. You can pick one up at KD computers for 25 and can use any 80mm fan on top. I recomend a Delta 80CFM with a rheostat, but any good 80mm fan will sufice.

I totally agree that the AX-478 is the best air cooled heatsink for the P4 socket 478...Its a damn fine heatsink :)

Back