• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-7VRX cooling issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lunatic Magnet

Registered
Hey Guys
I just put togethor a new machine with a Gigabyte GA-7VRX and an AMDD XP1800.
The built in temp monitor says the proc is running at 46C. I have one exhaust fan and a Thermaltake Volcano 7 with the temp sensor.
I realize the proc hasn't had a lot of time to burn in yet but I thought the temp seemed a bit high. Everything seems to run stable right now.
Anyone else had issues with the temp sensors on these boards?
Also the bios doesn't see the RPM's of the proc fan but does see the RPM's of the case fan.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!!

Well if you don't have the proc fan plugged into a mobo header you will not see the rpm. That does seem a little hot though. What kind of thermal paste are you using?

I figured out the fan header with that fan. The more I played with it the more I believe it is just the temp sensor. The heat sink was warm and rpm were at about 3500rpm to 4100rpm (under load).
The thermal paste is the Artic Silver stuff.

Still curious about this particular board and it's temp sensor

Yeah there's a few people reporting high temps with this board. The thing is though that the sensor contacts the back of the CPU because of how it's kinda sprung on a flying lead, whereas the "okay" temps on other boards are measured with a sensor sitting at the bottom of the socket. So these boards are probably giving a truer reading. If you don't like the reading, take out your CPU and bend the temp sensor down to the bottom of the socket and see your temps magically "improve". Well it will give you an idea of how much difference the positioning makes anyway to recalibrate your expectations of what temps are "good"

regards,

Road Warrior

Don't trust the in socket thermistors too much for accurate readings in any case. They're only good for telling you if the CPU is burning up or not. Total case airflow or water cooling adjusts insocket temps because of airflow/lack-of in the socket caused by turbulence.

I have the same m/b and fan/hs setup as you. And yes, my temps have always seemed a bit high. I have an Athlon 1900+ and it runs about 48C idle and 51C under a full load. I had the FSB up to 146 but then it really seemed to run hot so I backed it down. After reading the other posts here I think I'll run it back up again and not worry about it. BTW, when it's oc'ed, it runs about 49C idle and 54C stressed. :)

I took the proc out and bent the little temp sensor down flat. This gives you a much lower reading about 37 at idle. This reading is more in tune with mobo's that have their temp sensor imbedded on the board. This temp was recorded without an intake fan (just exhaust) which I will be adding on today.

Thanks for all the input!!:D :D :D :D :D

Thank You, Lunatic!!

I was going to do that sometime this week. Now I can sleep easier knowing that my temps are probably normal. I'll use the money I saved for a water cooling kit to buy a beer. :D OK, a LOT of beer. :D

Thanks again.

Back