• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worse performance after upgrade :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saitou

Well I just upgraded my video card from an old voodoo banshee to a Geforce 3 Ti200. Should be all good however, games are running even WORSE now then they where before. This is after a clean format and ive downloaded the latest Detonator drivers from nvidia.

My system is a Celron 700, 768mb ram running in win 98se

Anyone got any ideas at why it would be run worse now?
And also how do I change my AGP from 1X to 2X?

If anyone can help I would be very greatful.

I think you can from your bios, or at least I can on my mobo. If not, there may be a way to do it from a video card app like powerstrip, which can be downloaded at www.download.com I will tell you that your processor will be a bottle neck for the video card, and so will the SDRAM

Also, sometimes the latest drivers don't always work the best. Try some older ones (21.83 or 23.12). sometimes these give the best performance, you just have to try a bunch of 'em to see where you're going.

geforce3 has not the support for the agp 1x interface.
enter your bios and look for the agp interface setting and raise it to 2x at first. im not sure about the way youre checking for the interface setting within the windows. whatever it is, check if the current interface is actually set to the 2x. you can then to bechmakr it and play a few games to be sure you got a stable system and some improvement.
if you have the option to set the interface to 4x... it wont improve by much, you can try it out anyway.

did you know that win98 dont work properly with more than 512 of ram??? lower ur ram to 512 and chek out ur performace
i had same problem.

You were right about the ram, that helped a little bit thanks.
Tho i still get about the same performance as when i had my old Voodoo Banshee in :(
I still cant change my agp speed to 2X there isn't a setting for it in my bios however, in the boards manul it does say it supports 2X.
Would it be worth flashing my mother boards bois to the laitest one??

Try installing the drivers ones more, and make sure all bios settings are as they should. You could also try to install the card by Maximus's way, at the top of the Video forum. The GF3 should give better performance than the vodoo, there is probobly a simple mistake in some settings that is holding you back.

And you're graphic shouldn't get worse because because the cpu is what's holding you back. The cpu was the same as with the vodoo, right??

elysium

Yeah its the same cpu and mobo as when i had the Banshee in.
And even tho the celron will be a big bottle neck, it should still be able to run older games fine, as i found my Banshee being the biggest thing holding me back.

You should upgrade your mobo BIOS cause for sure it will have better performance and more settings to play with.

If the card doesnt support agp 1X then the card will not run properly. The card will be running faster than the mobo can process the information to the processor. You should flash the bios and see if that will enable an agp 2X setting. If that doesnt work then it may be time for a mobo upgrade. You can get a descent socket 370 mobo for around 50 dollars online and that would surely fix the agp problem, and also allow you to OC that 700 to close to a gig.

Back