• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual o/s primary or slave

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dufrain

im trying to have a dual o/s system and i have xp on 1 harddrive set to primary master and 98 on another hd set to secondary master.i can boot into 98 ,it never gives me a choice which to boot into.how should i configure these hds to be able to have a choice which os to boot into.thanx

As far as I know you can`t have 2 H/Drives set to master & secondary & expect to operate a Dual Boot system on these drives you can operate a dual boot on one drive set to master & use the other as an extra drive once in your o/s.

Or you could use both the H/Drives in removable caddies with a different o/s on each this works as I have done exactly that.

Acko

Acko said:
As far as I know you can`t have 2 H/Drives set to master & secondary & expect to operate a Dual Boot system on these drives you can operate a dual boot on one drive set to master & use the other as an extra drive once in your o/s.

Or you could use both the H/Drives in removable caddies with a different o/s on each this works as I have done exactly that.

Acko

Nope. You definitely can dual-boot in this configuration. Just do the following:

1) Set your Win98 HDD as bootable.
2) Boot from your WinXP CD.
3) Select Repair using Recovery Console.
4) Type "fixboot c:"
5) Eject your CD.
6) Reboot. You should see a dual-boot menu.

If this doesn't help - write me a PM, I'll provide a detailed help.

well i havent tried the dual boot yet ,i have a 2 gb hard drive that i upgraded from on 1 system ,i think ill put 98 on it and try to get the dual boot to work.

how do i set 98 hd as bootable,when i install 98 on it it will be bootable wont it.ill just set the 98 one to primary master and install.

i think check your bios for the boot order and change the hdd with win98 to boot before your winXP i think

im not sure the second harddrive shows up in the boot order in bios.i think only c is there,ill look again

whats that a program?where can i dload it.thanx for the tip

Back