• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft Recovery Console to the rescue!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
While browsing the forums and doing some d/ling, I got a BSOD. I really thought nothing of it, and hit the reset button. Upon reboot, I got another BSOD that said "Inaccessable_Boot_Volume". F*ck!!

So I rebooted and fired up my Recovery Console, logged into my partition, and typed Fixmbr, and Fixboot, and exited the console. After that, it scanned my drive, and booted right into Windows!! Booyeah!! The RC is the best thing that MS has ever done, EVER!

i used recovery console to disable some deadly start up items YEY FOR RECOVERY CONSOLE!!

recovery console is gotton to by running win2k or winXP setup off the cd, under the option of recover

Insert your 2K CD. If it autoruns, exit from install. Click Start>run and then type d: (or whatever your CD drive letter is)\i386\winnt32 /cmdcons:

stool said:
Insert your 2K CD. If it autoruns, exit from install. Click Start>run and then type d: (or whatever your CD drive letter is)\i386\winnt32 /cmdcons:

That's what I did. It's a selectable item in my bootup (I can choose between that and Win2k Pro)

It has came in handy for me a couple times with XP.That and the repair installation feature on the xp disk saved me from having to reformat when I installed a different motherboard.

Well, I'm getting close to formatting again, anyways. I don't think Windows 2000 liked it when I replaced my mobo w/ a different revision number (same board, however). It's been unstable and giving me BSODs when I shouldn't be getting any (I'm not overclocking yet).

OK, I need to know more abour recovery console, b/c I had to re-install XP *3* times due to overclocking and resulting file corruption. I got '...system.ini corrupt or not present, please run recovery console.'

I tried to use it through XP CD boot-up, when it says press 'R' to repair an installation it asks for a freaking repar floppy, which I never made. So: question 1: how do I make a repair floppy?

2) The regular recovery console, DOS style, I tried to use next. however, I could not get those 'fix*' commands to work. Question 2: Is there a guide *anywhere* for using recovery console? I am afraid to OC more because I don't want to hose my XP install! And for some reason M$ backup won't work...argh.

Here's a couple of MSKB articles, the first dealing with how to use MS Backup which comes preinstalled in XP Pro (it also comes with the Home version, although it doesn't include full functionality and it's hidden on the install disk, unlike the Pro version). The second article shows how to create an automated recovery disk (ASR), which you can use to access the backup you made using the Backup program from within Windows...

HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP

HOW TO: Re-Create a Missing Automated System Recovery Floppy Disk in Windows XP ;)

Back