• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PC Temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shybull

Registered
I just built a PC for the first time and I'm wondering about the temperatures. The CPU is running at 43-46c at idle, case is at 32c.
It's an AMD 1800, not overclocked, using OEM heatsink and fan with silver thermal grease, Shuttle ak31a, Geforce2 MX, 256 DDR. I have 2 intake fans and 1 exhaust. It's in a desk and I keep the door open when it's running. Are the temperatures within tolerances?

It's a little high for idle, but its ok. You won't get super-cool temps with the standard HSF. I think you should get a better heatsink. Here is a link:

http://www.overclockers.com/articles373

If you want my opinion, here are some I think are good (in no order):

Thermaltake AX-7
Thermaltake SK-6
Swifttech MCX370
Swifttech MCX472
Thermalright Volcano 7 (fan-temp sensor)
Thermalright Volcano 7+ (fan-temp sensor)

These above are pretty popular. But again, that's my opinion.

If you are looking into water cooling, you got the wrong person. ;(

i have a standard hsf on my xp1900+ and it runs about 50° idle, and load (!), well, not much different to that, and the case is about 26°c, that's not very good is it? could it be airflow (also home made PC, first time too)

Sounds like you guys need some fresh air in your cases. I recommend reading the front page articles for fan placement however. Those are pretty high case temps IMHO.

Shybull - The temps are within "specs" but do seem a little high for a stock system.

The system in my sigTag has yet to reach over 40C. My new system that I'm building, I'm using a AX-7 with a 120mm Delta 150CFM fan using a 120mm->80mm adapter and a rheostat.

You could probaby easily lower the CPU temp to about 35C using any of the HSF combo listed here.

Good luck.

Cullam3n said:
It's a little high for idle, but its ok. You won't get super-cool temps with the standard HSF. I think you should get a better heatsink. Here is a link:

http://www.overclockers.com/articles373

If you want my opinion, here are some I think are good (in no order):

Thermaltake AX-7
Thermaltake SK-6
Swifttech MCX370
Swifttech MCX472
Thermalright Volcano 7 (fan-temp sensor)
Thermalright Volcano 7+ (fan-temp sensor)

These above are pretty popular. But again, that's my opinion.

If you are looking into water cooling, you got the wrong person. ;(

Hey Cullam, nice HS selection...just a note for newer members...it is Thermaltake Volcano 7/+ not Thermalright. And the volcano 7 has a heat sensor...the 7+ does not, it has a fan speed control and is a Really Good fan. Obviously I am playing favourites here:p
The Glaciator2 is another choice and seems to be a favourite on this forum.

You're not the only one:D ...been a few posts like that...good selection though.

Maybe some day soon our fan selections wont be Noisy and cool but Quiet and cool..that is why I went the Volcano 7+ route.

I hear the Gaciator 2 is a good for cooling and quiet, how quiet is it, in DB? Any first hand experience or comparisons?

Back