• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about netgear router..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lt. Max

i have a netgear router and a cable internet connection, as u know, if u have a router, u cant make a server, now i would like to make a dungeon siege server since my brother is gettin a kicka$$ computer, is it possible to disable certain ports? i think i need to disable like 4..

You can run any kind of server you want with a router.

Find the port that this game uses, go into the router's configuration utility and forward the ports you need to the computer's local IP address. Works perfectly.

I own a NetGear RT-314 and have run web, FTP and various Half Life engine mod servers behind it.

Depending on the model you have, you can either telnet into it or access it via the web by connecting to http://192.168.0.1.

If I were you, I would start reading the manual so you'll know exactly what you're doing. You're going to need passwords and such and it's all in there in black and white.

The easiest way to throw up a quick server would be to put the server computer into a DMZ, this opens up all ports for that particular computer so you lose security; but its the easiest way to do it if you dont want to have to bother looking up what ports you need to open to play.

Most routers support a DMZ.

um , well i went there and put the default login name and password in there, but i cant see any dmz or whatever settings there.. only shows like uptime and such or smth..

Which netgear do you have ?

My DMZ setting on my R0318 is in advanced - ports.

I little side note is that some of the Netgear routers, need IE 5.5 or higher for the Web config to work properly.

Back