• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rheostat specs for my 120's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CSaddict

I used the search and couldn't find what I need to know. At the shack all they have is 25 ohms, 5k ohms, 500k ohms. Do you guys think that the 25 ohms would be acceptable for a 120 mil sunon? I have to install 2 to slow these little freaks down! I figured that the fans are about 40 ohms total so I think the 25's are my best bet. What do you guys think.

i have 1 on 2 80s and it needed heatsinks.... i stuck some copper fins on it....

it still gets kinda warm...............

whats the amp consumption of that fan? multiply amps by voltage to see the watts, and these can handle 3 watts, i got almost 5 going thru mine with the fins on it...

Same here, just received my two new fans from newegg, one sunon 120mm (48db) and one 92mm 5400rpm fan (52db). Both cool GREAT but the noise is unbearable even for me...

Looks like I'm going to be buying a soldering kit and some riostats this weekend so anyone have instructions for major novice solderer and zero-knowledge about electronics...

Gotta slow these monsters down...

I dont mind using 2 stats, actually I'd prefer it. They are 6.8 watts a piece! I'm also putting toggle switches in line because I only really need to run one most of the time. I only run them both under heavy gaming.

wow you dont need 2! i wish i could find some of that wattage, get the 25ohm ones, they slow the fan increadibly!

Masked, I meant my fans are 6.8 watts a piece not the stats! So I need stats that can handle 7 watts and about 40 ohms. I think lol

wow, i dont know exaclty what to do.. HOOT TO THE RESCUE!!!

Wait wait wait, how do you know what ohms and watts to use? When you say this you are talking about the RHEOSTAT ohms and watts right? Do these need to match the fans OHMS and WATTS?

newbie at this crap...

Wait wait wait, how do you know what ohms and watts to use? When you say this you are talking about the RHEOSTAT ohms and watts right? Do these need to match the fans OHMS and WATTS?

newbie at this crap...

h0mersimps0n said:

newbie at this crap...

These links will help you understand it more

Here and here

About those rheostats

Radio Shack stores only stock the 3 watt rheostats. You can have them order a 5 watt rheostat, or order it from the Shack's home page: www.radioshack.com I'd try either the 25 or the 40 ohm. Either will probably work.

You'll have to prepay at the store for the special ordering, but they sometimes absorb the shipping. You'll have to credit card to the webpage and pay shipping.

Those 5 watts will just barely power a 120. I have a 120 running on one. It really is hot. I'm trying to fix up a circuit to eliminate this particular rheostat. My plan is based on the IRC510 with a thermistor. It can easily take up to 1.5 amps. I've got the circuit built, but how to mount it in the box is the question. I'll get it.

Good luck with yours!

Bach-On!!!

If it ain't broke, let me take a crack at it.

Back