• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

toilet can help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sean Lindstrom

Has anyone considered putting a coil of copper tubing into the toilet tank? This could augment most water cooling systems. It only works if you flush the toilet occasianally (a given), and then one has to prevent condensation (the problem).

Read my other post for more on free cold.

Sean,
That sounds like a descent idea if you computer is close enough to a toilet. Maybe a seperate closed loop system pumping water to and from the toilet coil and a heat exchanger in which the toilet cooled water and the CPU warmed water interact.

How about wrapping a copper tube around your incoming water supply line a bunch of times and a heat exchanger as above?

I'm not sure you would have any condensation problems to worry much about. I guess it could depend on where you live (I'm in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where the humidity is usually around 10% so we don't have much of a condensation problem).

- John

This is what I am thinking of myself. A closed loop for pirmary cooling and put the heater core in the tank. Flush several times each day and get great cooling.

I figure that I will need copper tubing to got through the lid (plastic tubing would constrict from the weight) and shim the other side to keep the lid level.

Also, I figure that I would need to insulate the lines back to my comp to limit ambient heat from getting into the system.

This was brought up in my thread about using a well for watercooling, i think its a good idea...... but you try explaining the tubes comming out the back of your toliet to your wife :-D

even more efficient and it refills more often is put a bong in the top of a toilet.. wait if you did that when it flushes it mite run dry.. then your screwed..

I had some toughts:

This actually is a good idea, considering your toilet's reservoir is large, else you would have to flush a lot more than most people sit on their toilets. I also would place a rad in the pipe to the toilet. This will slow down the heating of the toilet water (reducing the flush activities) and it will protect you pc when you just flushed the toilet and it's refilling. Otherwise, when the water level in the toilet is down you are running without cooling, and that can't be good.

I can't do it because my toilet is too far away, but I would love to hear some results from this. Hope I contributed something :)

Back