• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 8500 128mb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AgEnT0140

well... i made the mistake of getting the Radeon 8500 LE at 230mhz, and i'm really starting to regret it now. I get 10FPS at 800X600 in CS when someone throws a smoke grenade... other people are getting over 200 normal at max res and i'm luck to get 40 at 800X600. is it worth it to get the 128mb LE for $200? i want the best because i dont need another 10fps piece of crap. your suggestions would really help.

-Kevin

get the gigabyte radeon 8500le 64 meg card clocked @ 250/250 but can easily hit 275/275(retail) i paid $146 an i hit 150fps @1280x1024 max detail and 2x fsaa... all around badass card for the money and if you are feeling ballsy you can re apply the thermal grease and some people (skip) have hit 300/300+!!!
i would reccomend it to anyone...

what drivers are you using? did you have a vid card in there before that your radeon might be having driver conflicts with?

Something aint right i have a AIW radeon 8500dv and they are only clocked at 235/190 with 64megs and im getting way more FPS then that at 1152x864 (not sure just how many, dont play the game but it came with my card). If you tell me how to show the FPS ill let you know exactly what im getting (if its in the options ill figure it out) but i'd guess its at least 50- 60.

I agree. You must have a problem besides the hardware itself. What do you have the graffic rendering as? I use Direct 3d and I dont have a problem. The software rendering sucks.

Oops, my mistake, the 128 meg one was in a system I already shipped. The one I left on my test bench was only a 64 meg. I bench marked it anyways.

-ATI Radeon 8500 64meg (Retail)
-AMD XP2100+
-256 DDR (Apacer)
-Aopen AK77 PRO(A)-133
-SB Live! 5.1 digital

Bench marked at stock speed under Windows XP™ home edition, 3Dmark 2001.

-7802 3D marks.

>> -7802 3D marks. <<

What does this mean? What's the significance of this number ( assume this is the benchmark result)?

to show FPS in CS at the console type net_graph 3. I'll mess around with the settings tonight and see what i can get. i still want a new card, but i'm more partial to ATI. The AIW is $200 too and i might get that instead.. split the cable from my cable modem and get simpsons on my computer :).

forgot to menton that i have the drvers made by ATI and i had no other card before on this install of windoze. i've had to install XP 7 times due to curuption problems.... don't ask... i dont need to rant about that too...

ok ill try the fps thing for cs in a while but i just thought i'd mention that the day i recieved my AIW i went to the ati site to check out the specs on my card and stuff (it hadnt shown up yet but i was getting all excited... u know how it is) and i saw that they had released a 128MB version of the AIW 8500dv. I figured oh well so its got more ram but i dont need that much to run any of the games i play and the ram is probably even slower... I couldn't have been more WRONG. the 128 mb version of the card runs at 275/275 same speed as the non aiw version... i still wouldnt have bought that card cause its over $600 canadian and the card i got was only $438 but i thought you might want to know that

Garfield said:
>> -7802 3D marks. <<

What does this mean? What's the significance of this number ( assume this is the benchmark result)?

For the first 6 tests, of the program, your card gets graded on how well it performed. As the tests run it accumulates points. The better your card does, the more points it recieves.

i tried it out and im gettin 60 FPS its almost like its capped right at 60 (it says 59, 60, 59, 60....) i tried the command max_fps to change the cap to 150 and 300 but it stayed right at 60, when i changed it to 40 it ran at 40...then i tried 0 thinking that would disable it but that just made it run at 4.5 fps. maybe you should try max_fps 150 or something to see if it helps. my fps didnt change regardless of what was on the screen, smoke grenades and all.

oh btw i was running at 1024x768 in openGL, not 1152x864. if you havent already then go into the open GL tab in the radeon control panel and disable AA (smotthvision) and antistropic filtering, see if it helps.

I only get 7300 on 3dmark 2001se :( but its way better then my old GF2 GTS, and its cool to be able to watch tv in the background of this page as i type

sometimes i marvel at my stupidity... i had it on software rendering! i get a steady 72fps now... i gotta change the max limit i think. couldnt get to the console so i gotta mess aroudn with it! maybe now i wont get the AIW... just a TV tuner card.

DaddyB said:
i tried it out and im gettin 60 FPS its almost like its capped right at 60 (it says 59, 60, 59, 60....)B]

Sounds like you either have V-sync enabled or you're getting the OpenGL refresh problem. Either do a google search for the fix or d/l Omega's drivers ...he has it all packaged nicely in one download.

Yeah you were right i don't know why i didnt think of that, I knew i had the "wait for Vsync" option enabled in the radeon control panel (it automaticaly enables it when you click Quality instead of Performance). The only OpenGL game that I play on a regular basis is Starsiege (i know, no1 has heard of it) and it runs fast no matter what settings i use (its kinda old). well anyway now my fps is stuck at 100 in half life but thats ok cause I haven't really gotten into playing it yet.... UT rules....

Thanks

Back