• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8K3A Problems...please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan Altick

Registered
I have an 8K3A motherboard with an XP1800+, MCX462 w 68CFM fan, and Corsair XMS3000 memory. From what I have read, with this combination I should easily be able to overclock my FSB to at least 200MHz, but I can't. I have tried nearly all DRAM settings, but no luck. Can anybody help me get the most out of this combination? I am desparate here. This is really frustrating. This is my first experience overclocking and I have learned a lot and read a lot of articles, but I just don't understand all the DRAM settings. I have successfully unlocked the multiplier so I can easily take it down; however with just a 133FSB my BIOS dated 3/28 says CPU temp is at 42C with cover off, which seems kind of warm given I am using the MCX462 with Arctic Silver 3. And my CPU temperature rises to about 47C with the cover on. I need some serious help here. Right now I'm feeling like I got ripped off and I just don't know enough to know how to address these problems. I do know how to work with the VDimm and VCore. I have successfully taken the FSB up to 184 and the CPU to 1750, but that's about all I can take them given my current knowledge. If you reference this article you will see the capabilities and expectations of this DRAM: www.hardwareluxx.de/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000015. If you reference this article you will see the capibilites and expectations of the MCX462: www.mikhailtech.com/articles/heatsinks/mcx462/. Combine this with Arctic Silver 3 and EPoX 8K3A and this should be potent solution; but I'm just not getting the results that the articles tell me I should get. Also, for some strange reason I cannot put my DRAM in any mode other than NORMAL mode. I have no idea why. I can put the DRAM in NORMAL mode and set the settings manually to fast settings; that is 2-2-5-2-1 and it will work fine. It's just that NORMAL mode is the only mode I can log in to WindowsXP successfully with. Baffling! I really need some experienced resources to solve this one. I hope I have come to the right place. HEAR MY CRY!!!

Ok first off have you updated the bios?
I had to do this to get it to work,also,will it boot under normal settings?

Ok here is what I did,I set it to normal,but then I changed all the settings to turbo,but leave it on nomal,write down the turbo settings and then set it to normal and then add the turbo settings under the normal..Good Luck

That's exactly what I did and it works fine. But the question is, am I really getting the true TURBO mode by doing that, and has anyone else experienced this problem or am I the only one? Also this is not my biggest problem. My biggest problems are temperature even with the Arctic Silver 3 and MCX462. Do those temperatures seem somewhat high. Also, why can't I get the FSB any higher? I've read that people are getting well above 200MHz with this XMS3000 DRAM. I know I have to slow down the DRAM to something like 2-3-5-3-2, but still no luck.

Well let me ask this,does yours have the 6 channel audio?
I am wondering because I am on my second board,I had to send the first back to NewEgg and I think it had 2 channel audio,and well the new one had 6,and it was a lot better board,and according to Epox Tech,they revised the 6 channel board,and he said the 2 channel,I cant remember what revision he said but those were hit and miss as far as performance goes,I knew nothing about this,but when I sent mine back,NewEgg called and said they dont sell that board anymore,i said WHAT,so I was looking at there web site and I seen it but it was a different part # so he sent me that one,and I was so glad because it was worth the wait,I love this board.
And as far as the turbo settings,I could not see any difference between the turbo and the normal with turbo settings,ok,but this board I can run at turbo...
So you might want to look into that,I will try and find what revision mine is ok.
And I will let you know

I am not sure but I think the guys with the 2 channel is the ones having the problems,but dont quote me on that,all I know I got no were with my first board,and the new one was and is a dream,
200 FSB is easy on this board..

Yes. It runs fine at 166 as long as I don't take the processor above about 1750MHz. The overclockability of this 1800+ sucks.

sorry i think you misunderstud what i mean. what i talking about is have you set the mhz from 133mhz to 166 mhz in the bios no the frontside bus but the mhz setting found in dram clock/drive control is it set to 166mhz or 133mhz or 100mhz? starting to see what i mean?im sure you already did this but i didnt see it above so i thought i might ask you if it i s set or not thats all.

I'm really beginning to think that version 1.1 is not a stable as version 1.2 at high FSB's. Don't know what else to think at this point. Can you tell me what the DCLK0, DCLK1, and Spread Spectrum settings are for in the DRAM settings? Also the DRAM driver settings, do they play a role here?

Back